Gaming Addiction

Tell me something, if a child is addicted to gaming will it affect school work?

OF COURSE. A parent always tries to get their kids to stop playin games for a while to focus on school stuff. When they go back to school they gotta stay focus. Wbu?

4 Likes

Actually, if we’re going by science that’s entirely wrong. The best cases of children’s mental health staying healthy through school and still managing to maintain good grades are those kids who have good schedules. Gaming - like any other hobby - can be an integral part of a good schedule.

Also gaming addiction isn’t as bad an issue as the media are trying to make it out to be. Like, there are people who game too much (maybe) but the extreme cases are extremely few and far between, and it also mostly occurs in adults, who have the money to expend on the hobby. In most cases all a parent needs to do is set aside time in the day for their kid to do whatever they want. That keeps them happy, healthy and intelligent. Gaming can help with that

4 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily have to affect school work if there’s a good balance between gaming and school. Of course if they spend all their time gaming and don’t do their homework, don’t study for test, don’t do assignments, then that’s a problem.

3 Likes

bIG problem.

1 Like

Honestly, this does more damage than it does good. Some children/teens are extremely stubborn, so trying to stop them from playing games and forcing them to study will prove to be tiring and stressful and most likely useless for both the parent and the child. The child will not study because they’re stubborn af and will most likely be mad at the parent most of the time for not letting them play games, the parent will be constantly mad at the child for not studying…And so everything becomes a huge mess :grimacing:

5 Likes

Equal amount helps children focus. Games are also another form of emotional support so if you stop them from playing it’s going to cause some kind of problem. It will cause indifference to studying and homework. They will not focus on the main point and start acting out more.

2 Likes

Moved to General Chat - Gaming

1 Like

huge big mess.

1 Like

Like the Japanese Hikikomori guys. I think that’s the right word? But like with most addictions, an addiction to gaming is usually a way for people to compensate for something they’re missing in their lives. I lot of people who are addicted to online social games in particular can find it difficult to interact with people in real life and so get their social needs met on an online game

I actually have anxiety in real life, so it’s quite a comfort to me when I can make friends over something we have in common like a game we enjoy – and we don’t have to look each other in the eye from day 1. We can choose to meet later on. I’m not even addicted to gaming. In fact, I don’t game enough lately!

3 Likes

Yes, after a few weeks of looking into this I’m happy to report that the WHO and certain legislative actions being taken are being very clever and making well-informed, healthy decisions about this. Gaming addiction is what is being fought, not gaming itself which is a good sign. Certain unhealthy and unethical aspects of gaming culture are being brought under closer inspection as well, which is a very nice plus. The gambling culture, obscure and strange rating laws and crunch periods of game developers are all being brought under a similar microscope and I’m very happy about it all.

My opinion is flipped, I’m all for gaming addiction being taken more seriously

2 Likes

It’s good that they realise there’s a big difference, because a lot of people try to spin the narrative that violent games make violent people, which is just not true

2 Likes

You don’t just become a school shooter if you play a few too many violent video games. You’re probably more drawn to those games if you’re a violent person, but you’re not going to be the only one who likes them. Plenty of people who wouldn’t dream of hurting someone in real life like them

2 Likes

The point is that a lot of this violence is unexpected. So unless the person is ascribing real life identifies to the game people they’re killing, I don’t see any reason why we’d have to worry.

Like, unless they’re acting like The Golden One, saying “That’s a feminist who doesn’t believe in the patriarchy” about characters on Skyrim, they’re probably not obviously a psycho killer

This is what makes those attacks so unexpected and shocking

1 Like

Depends. If they focus too much on video games and not on their schoolwork then that’s very concerning but I do understand why teenagers would be addicted to video games because of stress, I know how that feels.

Closed due to inactivity