Grammar in Stories

How important is grammar in a story to you? For me, I think that its ok to make occasional errors, especially if your first language isn’t English. However, if you’re too lazy to proofread and check your own work, I get annoyed a quit. I mean, grammar is the easiest thing to get right. Stick your story into Grammarly (check out my resources post on ShanniiWrites.com if you wanna get the Grammarly free version and support me at the same time) and correct it! Simple!

If you’re too lazy or careless to do that? I don’t want to give you my read.

That being said, I just read the first chapter of a popular story on Episode and the grammar was atrocious. It’s gonna make for very fun drinking game :eyes: drink every time a line doesn’t make sense.

Your thoughts on grammar?

13 Likes

I don’t expect perfect grammar! But sort out the biggest issues, man. Your story needs to be easy to understand at least!

4 Likes

If a story has txt language or Uses This Type Of Writing, I won’t read it.

5 Likes

Grammar is kind of important, I make some small errors and check them if needed to be corrected. I know English is not some people native language so it’s good to help them proofread.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums!

1 Like

thanks! :grin::smile:

1 Like

Of course :blush:

1 Like

Sorry if this is off topic but how do u create a topic? I was trying to create one but it wont let me. :thinking: @ShanniiWrites

2 Likes

You’re not on the level to create one. I just changed it to the 1st one. I don’t know why it didn’t do it in the first place.

1 Like

It usually takes a few hours to go from 0 to 1! Just to make sure you’re a genuine user and not a troll. You just have to read and reply to a few topics

4 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

ohhhh ok.

1 Like

it’s pretty important to me. Not saying you have to use perfect grammar, and have every sentence extremely well worded. And I do understand language-barriers and all that, but I do think that you should try and work on your mistakes and ask others for help if you’re having trouble with it. A couple misspellings might be fine but if every word is misspelled ugh, I couldn’t deal with that. Also I hate it when people don’t use capital “I”’s in their stories. Obviously if you’re texting or commenting or chatting online it’s fine but if you’re publishing something it’s better to have them capitalized. This is all my opinion though, and it’s not intended to be hateful towards anyone. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

If the grammar is bad in the story, it instantly gives me the impression that the author hasn’t put there 100% efforts in the book. Because checking grammar is the first step after you have finished your first draft for me as a writer. If grammar is not good, I won’t read it.

2 Likes

Bump, grammar is never not relevant

3 Likes

If there are a few errors, I don’t mind. However, if the story has a grammatical error every two lines, I will get annoyed and stop reading it. Same thing for punctuation. I don’t mind if there are a few errors, but like if the author fails to put proper punctuation every single line (like those authors who NEVER put period at the end of the sentences), I will be like NOPE and quit reading.

3 Likes

I just think it’s such an easy thing to correct. Ask someone to help, get grammarly, do something. So when I see bad grammar, I feel like I’m reading a lazy writer’s work

2 Likes

Bump

Well, I find the grammar thing important. Not that I expect people to write a story that is 100% free of grammatical errors, but as someone who doesn’t speak English as her native language, I think it’d make many people’s lives easier if authors will keep grammatical errors to minimum by proofreading each chapter of their story, so the grammar in the story will be legible, because not all the readers are native English speakers.

But if you see that you have errors, then correct. Even something that is considered for you a small error can make readers not understand what you wrote.
If you are careless and unwilling to correct your spelling errors, then forget about me reading your story. I am not gonna waste my time trying to guess what you were trying to write :roll_eyes:.

5 Likes

I never thought of it from a non-native speaker’s perspective! Since I am basically a native speaker :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve been speaking English for long enough and I did Literature at University.

But it’s true! A lot of people use the fact that they’re not a native speaker as an excuse for bad grammar, but it never even occurred to me that bad grammar can hurt understanding way more for non-native speakers!

6 Likes