Happy Halloween! Discussion

Yep!

Not really…

I’m not going trick or treating (since I’m lazy and I don’t have a costume lmao), so I might hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters! And also work on my Episode stories :grin:

I’m also happy 'cause there’s no school tomorrow :eyes: we never have school the day after Halloween

No but I’d like to at least once.

I made a Halloween poll on the forums :joy:

Yes

1 Like

Best response ever :joy:

2 Likes

:joy: Also my mini Halloween tradition is listening to Calling All The Monsters by China Anne McClain

2 Likes

I’ve had this stupid song in my head all day and it’s 100% @ChaoticDeluge’s fault for introducing me to it!

4 Likes

Oh god I need to put this on the playlist how could I forget

1 Like

Or the remix rather

1 Like

And TimeWarp!

And also Thriller!

1 Like

Okayyyy :joy:

1 Like

The memories… We watched this video in Year 3 and then tumblr stole this song in 2014 and it was everywhere!

1 Like

I love it so much xD But it’s annoying in your head or 8 hours!

The only respite I got was hearing the Baby Shark Halloween Version!

1 Like

There’s a halloween baby shark???

1 Like
  1. Do you celebrate Halloween?
    Nope.
  2. If so, do you have any Halloween traditions?
    Nope lol.
  3. Are you doing anything today?
    Nope.
  4. Is it a Pagan holiday, a Christian holiday, a commercial nightmare or just a little bit of fun

I remember I use to get told it was Satan’s birthday and I use to believe it too :joy::joy:. Now I just think it’s a little bit of fun for people but probably did use to be something that’s lost it’s true meaning if that makes sense.

:eyes:

1 Like

its my birthday

2 Likes

Happy birthday!!! :heart:

1 Like
  1. No.
  2. Watching YouTube videos.
  3. I still think it’s the thing that shall not be named’s birthday.
    :hushed:

No no my birthday was the 26th

3 Likes

Same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, some Jews interestingly celebrate some Christian holidays (for example, in Israel, there are many Russians who celebrate Christmas. Some of them are Jewish and some aren’t).

Good question. I’d say that Hanukkah is my favourite (which is coming soon on December, according to the civil calendar :grin:).

About the holiday

Hanukkah is a holiday observed for 8 days. It begins on 25 Kislev (we celebrate holidays according to the Jewish calendar) and either ends on 2 Tevet or 3 Tevet.

The holiday is commemorating the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire and the Maccabees’ successful rebellion against Antiochus IV.

How it is celebrates? We:

• light the candles. Each night one candle is lighted. We do it with hanukkiah (or hanukah menorah), which is a nine-branched candelabrum. We usually light the hanukkiah at a window. When we light the candles, the order is from left to right. We also have the shamash, the ninth holder, which is used to light all other candles. It is the highest candle.
    On the last day, we finally light 8 candles.

• sing special songs, such as Ma’oz Tzur.

• eat foods fried in oil, like latkes, sufganiyot (usually a round jelly doughnuts, topped with powdered sugar).

• play dreidels. Well, we can play in many different types of dreidels. Mostly, each side of a dreidel is imprinted with a Hebrew letter which is an abbreviation for the Hebrew words:

(Nes) נס
(Gadol) גדול
(Haya) היה
(Po) פה

Meaning “a big miracle happened here”. The Jewish who live outside Israel say “Nes gadol haya sham” (נס גדול היה שם), meaning “a big miracle happened there (in Israel)”

• give Hanukkah gelt (or dmei hanukah, meaning “Hanukkah money” in Hebrew). Children usually get mainly chocolate coins and money. (I remember how my grandma used to always give me chocolate coins whose wrappers were designed like the new shekel…)

Another holiday that is a really fun one: Purim.

I hope it helps you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

2 Likes