Happy Halloween! Discussion

We’ve kinda been missing out on the discussion element lately! That’s definitely partially my fault. I got the sickness bug, then I had to work overtime at work and I’ve just been kinda low on energy.

But I’ve had a lot of good news in my life today and I’m raring to chat!

So I thought I’d start things off with a little chat about Halloween

As usual, I have some questions for you!

1. Do you celebrate Halloween?
  2. If so, do you have any Halloween traditions?
  3. Are you doing anything today?
  4. Is it a Pagan holiday, a Christian holiday, a commercial nightmare or just a little bit of fun? :wink:
6 Likes

In my own special way yeah

Well we have to watch Carrie :joy: and the exorcist but because I was at college today we couldn’t so I wore my shirt instead. We also turn all the lights off in the house.

Well we watched Carrie

Well I don’t see how it is a Christian holiday but tomorrow is all saints day. If somebody could tell me how Halloween ties into all saints day then that would be cool :joy:. It’s a pagan holiday that’s for sure, it’s all hallows eve, the night where the veil between our world and the other world is thinned. It’s an awesome day and a lot of fun. It annoys me when people complain about it being toO mAiNsTrEaM and commercial because if people find it fun…it’s good.

2 Likes

Nope, but some of my more extroverted friends are hosting a murder mystery themed party :eyes::sparkles::joy:

Staying at home and doing my schoolwork :eyes::sparkles::crying_cat_face:

It’s a great way to save money, because most stores sell pumpkins and candy at low prices the next day, because almost no one celebrates Halloween here, so there’s a lot of stuff left that they have to sell somehow :eyes::sparkles::joy:

2 Likes

I’ve never actually watched Carrie! I feel like I need to. Would you recommend it? Oh boy the Exorcist. xD That’s a trip down memory lane!

Weirdly, for once, I don’t actually know! I’m usually quite well-versed in the whole Christianity thing, but I’m not that familiar with Halloween! I just know a lot of people say it was appropriated by Christians from Paganism, as we tend to do, so that people could adapt to the new religion easier!

What I think a lot of the people who say stuff like that don’t get is… they’re just as much swayed by what the public likes and dislikes as someone who just does everything that’s mainstream. Like, if you really wanna break away from “mainstream” tastes, like what you like because you like it, not because it’s too mainstream or not mainstream enough. Stop giving so many poops what people think!

1 Like

Really? I didn’t know that! They don’t? It’s so much fun though!

1 Like

I would definitely recommend Carrie (the original) it’s really good.

1 Like

When was the original made? Is it like… laughably bad effects? :eyes:

1 Like

It was 1976 and directed by Brian De Palma (great direction) the effects are actually quite good considering the time.

1 Like

I wish for those who celebrate it happy halloween.

(Well, no point answering your questions since the answers are predictable)

1 Like

I’m guessing you don’t celebrate? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Mhm. Obviously.

1 Like

But I gotta admit, halloween looks like a nice holiday.

1 Like

It’s pretty fun! But I’m sure you have lots of fun holidays, too! I’d love to know a little about them! If you ever get the time, could you tell me about one or two on the Jewish representation thread? :eyes:

1 Like

Ah I love Halloween, I’ve been called a Witch since I was in primary school. Mostly due to my jet black hair, when I was little I was the only kid at school with black hair. I live in the forest, My mom was thought to be a Witch too back then so they thought it was in the family :joy::joy: she wore so many rings and crystals etc.
My sister was the only one who no one thought was one, as she was a pale blonde :joy::joy:

I celebrate Halloween in a tame way, at home watching classics like Scream… Can’t beat the old favs. First watched it aged 8 or 10 or something.
So that’s my tradition. I sometimes go the extra mile, dressing up a little more witchy and eating popcorn and lollipops lol.

I have been busy doing housework today though, and am writing at the moment. But will watch a few Scream movies shortly.

Pagan Holiday in my view.

2 Likes

I have this fantastic image of a witch with pointy hat and all vacuuming

2 Likes

Of course. I told about them a bit, but I can tell more in details, if you want me to. Just tell me which holidays would you like to know about.

1 Like

Awww shoulda done that. But no, was more me swearing a lot and dancing to music now and again lmao

2 Likes

Which one’s your favourite? I’d love to know all about it!

1 Like

It’s funny: a bunch of my Jewish friends here in London still dress up!

I’m going trick or treating! I still look young for it lol.