Has the cancel culture gone too far?

LMAO YES IT HAS. Simple. Literally I will watch so many people get cancelled for things we all know people do on a daily bases, even I feel like the people cancelling those people.

I think there is TOO much sensitive people on social media nowadays. Now obviously racism, homophobia, black-face, anything to do with prejudice like that, a person deserves to be cancelled for but little things like idfk, being 16 and participiating in sexual activities like it’s legal to, it stupid. Especially because they only will cancel that teen because they’re popular, yet it’s the trend to be that young in person and doing that stuff. It’s all for clout of the so called “cancelers” bruh. Like I cannot stand it lolll.

I think we as a society really on social media cannot fathom that if you don’t know what’s truly going on, and if you know you do it yourself, THEN STFU and let them live lmfao. The word “cancel” has this nasty and stinky connotation now because it’s so overused.

Lol but yeah, what do y’all think? @Debaters

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with facing the consequences for your actions, especially since 99.9% of the time when people plead cancel culture, they haven’t actually been cancelled, they’ll still have a platform and can still say all the things they’re being critisised for. I mean, look at J. K. Rowling, she pleads cancel culture all the time, using her platform which was never taken from her.

Also if you break the TOS on a website and get your account taken away then fair, that’s how it should be. If you had an issue with those rules you could protest them but unless they get changed you’ve got to follow those rules.

I have no issue with fair critisism, as in critisism which has a point and can be backed up. No I don’t mean “polite” critisism, I mean someone commenting on a persons actions/words and the affect it actually has.

Honestly, I’m curious about your definition of “cancelling” because mine is when a person recieves consequences more severe than what the action demands, which is pretty broad.

Like everyone giving a person hate and making all these videos saying “so and so is CANCELLED” and making dramatic videos about like someone doing the “most” which their “most” was having intercourse as a consenting 17 year old.

Stuff like the Danielle Cohn situation. Even with her maybe not actually being 18, her supposed legal birth document would show she is now 16 which is age of consent and people will only get on her about being a teen and doing sexual stuff. A lot of their arguments won’t be about 16 year olds in general doing that and how wrong it’s supposedly is, it’s like her being attacked specifically. Which is what a lot of cancel culture has boiled down to that I’ve seen in TikTok. It’s specifically just making crazy videos about one person doing something and then them not really getting into how it’s wrong in general.

That makes sense! People taking the moral highground, especially over something like sex is just weird, people do seem to be using the term far too losely in which case that aspect of cancel culture has gone too far. Maybe it’s further highlighted by online culture in general.

Yep yep. Or moral highground on drugs, correctional facilities, etc. Like cancelling someone because they’ve been to jail for almost always dumb sh*t is like… weird. Especially when the people “cancelling” them are like teenagers lol.

Now I am 100% for videos that really dig deep into people who’ve done some genuinely horrid sh*t like Mr Beard on Trisha Paytas, like he goes in depth on psychological affects that a person is causing in situations and he actually shows her racist, insensitive past and explains further why she doesn’t deserve a platform, but there’s not enough of people like him to fix the bad look that cancel culture has.

1 Like

Yes. Cancel culture is stupid. It doesn’t even work.

1 Like

That’s another thing I wanted to point out lmao. The videos people make to get clout from that certain celebrity just gives more clout to the celebrity too, giving them more of the platform that the so called “cancellers” are trying to “get rid of”. To be honest most of these people just want clout for themselves and they’re using people who aren’t even always actual bad people to gain it.

1 Like

What I’ve noticed is, people do jump to conclusions way too quickly. People get judged through the cancel culture while there basically is no proof of anything just rumors basically. I think sometimes people forget we have a legal system, and if someone is guilty, they will have to pay for that through a fair trial and based on a court decision. Someone’s life can be ruined if they get completely canceled, while it might not be justified at all. Sure, there are situations where cancelling is needed, but in some cases, it’s just stupid…

I hate cancel culture, especially when it involves bullying and dogpiling people. Now, of course, someone who sexually assaulted a person, murdered someone, or did a horrific act like that definitely deserves to be cancelled. But nowadays, plenty of people try to cancel and bully others just because they don’t like something the person said.

2 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

I kinda agree with this. Mostly 'cause I feel that 75% of people get “cancelled” are so more 'cause of a trend than anything severe they’re done.

1 Like

Some celebrities who had some backlash from choices:

Will Smith - Slapping Chris Rock
Adam Levine - cheating on wife?
Ellen Degeneres - toxic workplace
Meghan Trainor: Saying F* teachers in podcast
Matt Rife - talking negatively about women’s body parts.

I personally think small mistakes can be learned from. Even things that others might find big can sometimes be forgiven because maybe that person truly is ignorant, and as long as they try to learn from it, they shouldn’t be labeled that forever.

Depends on what they did, for example, Shane Dawson fully deserved to be cancelled for his pred, raceist behavior. :star_struck: (Spelled incorrectly on purpose)