Have you ever broken a guideline in one of your stories?

I actually broke one in Miss Understood, and was notified about it when Episode decided to feature my story on the Women’s History Month last year.

Here’s what happened:
In one chapter, there was a flashback scene to when Emilianna was 13 years old, and her “friends” persuaded her to ask her crush out. Well, she does this, but the guy basically tells her that he doesn’t like her. So she goes to cry in the bathroom… but her “friends” walk in, not knowing she’s crying in a stall, and start smoking while laughing about the fact that she was humiliated. After hearing the conversation, she tells them that she’s going to accuse them with the principal for smoking in the bathroom.

I was told that it is against the guidelines to have teenagers under sixteen smoke, so I had to change the whole scene. Other than that, I don’t think I’ve broken any other guidelines.

What about you, @Episodians?

• Have you ever broken a guideline?
  • Do you think that it was unfair?
  • Did you modify the scene or remove it?
5 Likes

Yeah, a pathetic one for a fantasy story but I don’t really use it any more to worry about correcting their error.

1 Like

yes- :sob:

1 Like

Which ones?

1 Like

It was a story about all the Disney princesses being friends :flushed: so copyright

1 Like

Ooooh… Damn. That sucks.

1 Like

It got reported and taken down :clown_face::clown_face::clown_face::clown_face:

1 Like

Silly. But… but… but that’s odd, 'cause there is a way to make an original out of them since they’re fairytales

1 Like

Oh, damn. Well, still a pity.

1 Like

Aww :pleading_face: I appreciate you thinking so

1 Like

Well, it was an overlay I made for a scene of a murder victim. I apparently applied too much blood and gore to the overlay to be approved. I had to redo the overlay again which it passed the second time.

It was a shooting victim who got shot in the chest. I went go happy on the blood. Chest wounds bleed a lot…

Considering the character was going to be covered by a white sheet. Yeah, I think it was unfair. I even told them the readers wouldn’t even see most of the blood.

Modified the overlay so that I could still use it.

1 Like

I’ve been close to it.
I’ve tickled the edge of how far I could take some stories.

1 Like

Yes yes

Yes. There was this scene in my story where a character wanted to get past the guard to do something to the MC.

So she slipped some sleeping pills into the guard’s drink when he wasn’t looking (yes, that’s a very amateur move but bear with me, I wasn’t very experienced in this spy-tactics field :pray:).

And you know, I get a message saying that my story features drug/alcohol abuse. If that were the problem, why didn’t they report my “drug” overlay in the first place? Why do so much drama after my story is posted?

So yeah, I modified the scene by changing the pills to sugar cubes. Maybe the readers will satisfy themselves into thinking “yeah that’s some rare sugar which induces sleep” and move on with the story :thinking:

I think it was unfair because I wanted to make my story realistic. They should judge the scene on the basis of not the overlays used but for what the overlays are actually being used for. I wasn’t explicitly promoting dr-g ab-se though. It’s not that some dep–ssed person were taking relief doing… stuff.

Where can I find the guidelines?

Wow, that’s ridiculous. Makes me wonder if I’ll get in trouble (I assume this is on Wattpad) for a scene where someone holds a rag with ether over the MC’s nose to knock her out to kidnap her. It’s a long ways into the story and not posted yet, so maybe anyone who reads that far likes the story and won’t flag it lol

Here?

Nope, although I tend to kill people off in my stories, I always stick to the guidelines :eyes:

Ok, here it is:

The next night, Saturday, she was visiting with Charlie before supper. It was now getting dark well before their dinner time of 7:00pm. If it was still daylight when she went out to the steer’s pasture, she didn’t bother turning the light on. She was lying up against the huge bovine, talking away and didn’t hear the sound of footsteps approaching. Charlie heard, though. The person didn’t have the scent of his human family. He got up, ready to defend Marissa should she need it. He had noticed, in his limited way, that something had happened to her and she couldn’t walk normally anymore. Unfortunately, he didn’t get a chance to defend her. Something poked him in his hind end. He mooed and swung around to face his enemy but the person was running away. Charlie took chase. Normally, he’d have caught up to the human in no time flat, but he felt strange, like he couldn’t get his legs to move. Then he went down and the world went black.

Everything happened so fast. Marissa was confused when Charlie got up so abruptly, but then she saw him running away from her and figured that he was chasing someone. She didn’t have a chance to yell for help, she was grabbed and a hand clamped over her mouth and nose. Something was in the hand - a rag, maybe.

Next thing Marissa knew, she was in a moving vehicle. She opened her eyes. It was still dark but she could see the outline of two people in the front seats and felt someone next to her. She tried to speak, but duct tape was covering her mouth, preventing her from doing so. Her hands and feet were bound. She struggled to get free.

“I see you’re awake”, a male voice said. It was the person sitting next to her on the floor of the vehicle. “Don’t waste your energy. You won’t get free.” She felt something against her temple. “This is a gun. One wrong move and it’s game over. Capiche?” She nodded. “We are going to a private airport and when we get there, we will board a plane. You will be quiet and do as we say. Understand?” she shook her head. “What’s that?” He slapped her across the face. She made noises beneath the tape covering her mouth. Her captor ripped it off.

If that was to me, then thank you.