Have you ever felt dumb by not knowing the definition of the most common words most poeople use?

I have, and almost all the time. I hear the words foreshadowing, utilize, intercept, spiel, and many more words all the time and I still have a hard time figuring out what these words mean. :disappointed_relieved: I’m considered to be a smart girl by some, but frankly, I don’t even know the definition of the most common words! I feel so dumb right now, and I don’t want to feel like the only one, so does anyone else feel this way? Does not knowing words like these make me dumb? I need answers!

5 Likes

No lol, if I don’t know a word, I’ll search it up :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I do all the time, but then again, I still don’t remember the definition :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Added some tags and moved to Discuss category :white_heart:

lol yes, mainly because I forget them :star_struck: and no, it doesn’t make you dumb

2 Likes

Yess but it honestly doesn’t make you dumb :pleading_face:

1 Like

Yeah, but I feel to scared to ask so I look it up :nerd_face:

Only to get the wrong definition sometimes-

1 Like

Isn’t the internet the most reliable source you could ask for? :star_struck:

1 Like

Sometimes :sob:

1 Like

Yes, but mainly words or abbreviations that didn’t exist/meant something different when I was a teenager. Such as:
-simp
-sm (so much)
-stan
-sus
-yeet

Or sayings that become viral… at first, I think it’s just a catchy phrase that the person who first said it came up with, but when I start seeing people who don’t even know each other using it, that’s when I realize that it’s from a video or a tiktok.

Sometimes I’m embarrassed to ask, but I usually look it up or maybe even ask in an anonymous confession…

2 Likes

I didn’t know people who ask on the anon confessions might feel embarrassed to ask up front. This made me think that maybe I should better explain these slangs better for those who may be afraid to just ask :thinking: I would usually explain the sm one jokingly or vaguely because I see all the anon confessors as a blank face so I never take any seriously

You shouldn’t be embarrassed to ask!!

3 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah, sometimes I’m embarrassed to ask because it just seems like common knowledge for so many people.
But next time I see a slang expression that I don’t know, I’ll ask up front. :sunflower: :sunflower:

1 Like

No it doesn’t make me feel dumb and if anyone ever does make you feel dumb about it then they’re silly

Closed due to inactivity