Have You Ever Read a Book in Another Language?

As the title says: Have you ever read a book in another language than your first language? :smiley_cat:

In school we got told that this will help our knowledge of other languages and make writing easier so I tried it but couldn’t enjoy it. Now, I love reading books in English but I’d never read a book in French because it’s just too complicated for me :sweat_smile: Do you have any other experiences?

7 Likes

Yes. Many times. It’s actually fun to read in English, if you ask me.
And I used to read a bit in Spanish from time to time.

2 Likes

Same, here. Or I didn’t enjoy reading in English until I was 12 or 13.

I’ve read a couple of books in French, but I honestly didn’t understand a lot so it wasn’t that fun. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, in English but also French for school.
I’m technically bilingual so I read some stuff in arabic too, but my grammar is extremely bad so I only read not-so-complicated books

4 Likes

I think I’ve read a book that was in French before. :books: :fr:

2 Likes

I have read on English, and one on Spanish but never finished it… Not for being in Spanish but because the writer’s style has changed.

1 Like

I read both in English and in Spanish, but the annoying thing about reading in Spanish when the book was originally written in English is that the author usually doesn’t get the puns, colloquial expressions, and word plays right, so it doesn’t flow naturally.
I’ve tried reading in Greek, but it’s much harder and takes me a lot longer to process the words.

1 Like

I’ve read a book in French :fr:

1 Like

Everyone’s read books in French! I tried to read Les Betes Humaines but I got bored

1 Like

I’ve read a book in Arabic! I can read fluently I just don’t know what it meas :skull:

1 Like

I plan on reading The Girl from the Miracles District.
It’s supposed to be good, but it’ll probably struggle because it’s completely polish I think

1 Like

I’ve read books in german, russian and english and I plan to also read in french once I get more fluent :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

3 Likes

I’ve read a few books in French. We have to do a reading assessment every year. So far I’ve read Le Petit Nicolas, Le Phantom de L’Opéra, and Le Petit Prince. I also read a novel in Grade nine, but I forget what it was called.

1 Like

My mom is from Russia so all of my brothers and I have read and spoken Russian from a young age. I would say I read a little less than 50% of the books I read in Russian so I can share them with my mom because she doesn’t read English the best. I have also read books in Spanish for school at least one every year. El Cruz Del Diablo was my favorite we read though.

1 Like

Does English count even though I lowkey know English since I was a fetus (but it isn’t my main) ?

3 Likes

Hm… if you want it to count? :laughing: Not sure

3 Likes

Haha

3 Likes

I haven’t. The closest I’ve come to reading a book in another language would be reading Shakespeare plays, which sometimes feels like another language.

If I tried to read a book in another language I wouldn’t be able to understand it. I know some Spanish, but only very basic stuff.

Am I the only one who hasn’t/can’t read a book in any other language?

1 Like

im bilingual but reading in spanish isnt fun

like i can do it, but idk its easier to space out

i did read el principito tho
*self high five *

2 Likes

oh yeah homeboy couldnt talk

3 Likes