Help Thread: Representation on Branches of Christianity

Nope! Either of your parents can raise you Christian, but a Christian is also just someone who believes that Jesus is God and he died for our sins. It isn’t really passed on by birth in that way

4 Likes

So, it means that even if a baby was born to Christian parents, then he/she isn’t Christian as well?

2 Likes

Shes trying to say it depends on the individuals decision, not anyone else or the parents.

4 Likes

Ah. I got it.

4 Likes

Yeah you can be raised Christian, but ultimately there’s nothing to keep you Christian. It doesn’t have a culture surrounding it in the same way as Judaism does

3 Likes

Okay :blush:. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thats an old Jewish way of doing things, back in BC I think some still do it in Judaisim

3 Likes

Hey, I don’t know if someone already asked this, but can a priest adopt a child? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It depends on the type of Christianity. With a lot of Protestant churches, priests can have a family – both male and female priests. In this case, of course! In Catholicism, only men can be priests and they can’t marry or have kids, so they’d only be able to help out at or run an orphanage instead.

So if you want your priest to serve at any of those pretty churches with the stained glass windows, no. If you’re ok with churches that are more plain and modest, sure.

4 Likes

So If I understand correctly, priests who follow the Protestant church, can adopt a child? :slight_smile: Are priests of the Protestant church more proggressive? Like: falling in love with the same gender? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes and no. In some ways, Protestantism is more progressive. In others, Catholicism is. For example, Catholics give to charity at a higher rate. They tend to support more liberal movements such as social welfare and free healthcare etc. The pope has openly said that gay people are made that way by god. However, not even all straight couples can marry in the Catholic Church, so it’s no surprise that you can’t have a gay marriage within a Catholic Church. Plus, most Catholics are very pro life.

On the other hand, Protestantism tends to have more of the radical movements like the Latter Day Saints and the Westboro Baptist Church. Of course, there are fringe groups in Catholicism too, but they’re more just conservatives since Catholics have strict rules from the Vatican that they have to abide by. When there’s a movement like the LDS or Westboro lot, the Vatican release a statement saying their actions are against the wishes of the Church. And you have to either accept that or leave the Church.

Because Protestantism has no clear rule or authority in the same way Catholicism does, you can also get away with more liberal fringe movements like a church for gay people that does gay marriages.

That’s not to say that Protestants are often more progressive. The liberal movements are rare and Protestants in America make up most of the people who protest outside of abortion clinics. Catholics tend to just have candlelight marches in protest of abortion.

In the UK, staunch, unmoving Protestant sentiment is often coupled with white nationalism. For example, Glasgow has two (real) football clubs: the Catholic Celtic club and the Protestant Rangers. The Celtics have Irish roots and their terrorism died out massively before the 21st century thanks to the Good Friday Agreement in Ireland. The Rangers are well known for protesting against ethnic and religious minorities to this day.

4 Likes

In fact, I did my second year essay at university on the fact that women lost their status in society in England after the English Reformation. That’s because Catholics put a lot of value on Mary as the queen of the saints. Protestants largely got rid of that, which resulted in the most notable woman in the Bible becoming Eve instead of Mary. Women suddenly were only responsible for making us sin.

A lot of female apothecaries and witch doctors lost their place

2 Likes

I’m a Christian and I don’t believe that Jesus is god. I think it depends on what our churches teach :smile:

2 Likes

What do you believe, if you don’t mind? It’s very unusual that a Christian doesn’t believe Jesus is God. Almost all denominations do

2 Likes

Very true, it’s always on what church your in. Churches can vary in what is allowed and not in Christianity. For example: some of my old churches were against gay marriage, yet the church I go to is okay with it. It’s really all on the people in the church to be honest.

3 Likes

Also the denomination! That’s a really important part haha. If the movement was started on the words of Martin Luther or Calvin or someone else. Or if it’s Catholicism or Orthodoxy

Plus there’s the number of books that are accepted as canon. The Protestant bible, which is now the most popular, was shortened to what it is now over 1000 years after Christianity was founded

4 Likes

Woah, thanks for the information!) :slight_smile: Cause I have a character who is adopted by a priest but I wasn’t so sure if priests can adopt children. Thanks! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m sure Shannii is still willing to help people, along with many other Christians on this forum.

1 Like

Don’t be afraid to ask questions everyone!

1 Like

What’s the difference between the Holy Spirit and the Holy Trinity?

(Learning about the split of Christianity in history class, this confused me haha)

4 Likes