Here’s my story

Hi guys. My name is Alexandra, more commonly known as @Ouijaloveletters. I was born on April 11th, 2001, three months premature. I was only 1lb 11oz, and 13 inches, about the size of a Barbie. Due to being born so early, my organs were very underdeveloped and my skin was translucent. I have had eight major surgeries and one minor one, but that one isn’t important. I was in the hospital for four and a half months, on a ventilator for a lot of the time. The doctors said that even if I survived, I shouldn’t be able to walk, talk or feed myself. I obviously wouldn’t be typing this if that happened. Due to my traumatic birth, I suffered a brain hemorrhage, which is where my brain was bleeding. This caused Hydrocephalus, also known as water on the brain, which caused Aspergers Syndrome and Dyscalculia. I also have Hypertonia, which means I have too much muscle tone in my legs, making walking difficult and painful. Sometimes my legs hurt just sitting. I also have several eye conditions such as Terry’s Syndrome, which is an issue with my retinas also called Retinopathy of Prematurity, Nystagmus, which is involuntary movement of the pupils, and Myopia(Nearsightedness). Another issue was that I had a twin, which definitely didn’t help my make my birth better. She died and I’m disabled. So, yeah. That’s me.

6 Likes

Does anyone have questions?

1 Like

No, but I have to say, I’m so sorry that you’ve been through all of this, and you’re really tough considering how you managed to overcome them!

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Apparently, my dad would sleep on the floor outside of my door when I was a baby to make sure I was ok.

1 Like

Turns out I actually had a surgery I didn’t even know about to correct a passageway between my heart and lungs that should’ve closed, but didn’t.

2 Likes

That happens a lot with premature babies. Everyone is born with a hole in the walls of their heart (not sure why) but it usually closes shortly after birth. Premature babies’ bodies are so focused on growing everything else, that that bit doesn’t happen sometimes

(I think, don’t take this as granted this is just what my mother explained to me, and while she trained to be a surgeon, she later dropped down into general practice)

2 Likes

You’re right.

1 Like

sighs in relief

My family has a lot of heart issues so we get those sort of things mentioned a lot lmao

1 Like

Lol, I get it.

1 Like

My boyfriend and I also have one of the same conditions, so we bonded over that.

Closed due to inactivity