History of anime + manga

Since film is a much more recent medium than books, it should come as no surprise that manga started before anime. Manga as a term has been around for hundreds of years, although the term means something quite different know than it’s original usage. As an art form, manga is largely characterized by its expressiveness and storytelling. After World War II, contemporary manga really began to flourish and became more popular globally. At the same time, anime was also expanding. Depending on your definition of anime, anime had been around for around the same length of time as film in Japan. After World War II, the genre really started taking off and also found roots internationally. One of the popular early shows was called Astro Boy, which found success outside of Japan as well. Both anime and manga have been heavily influenced by their Japanese roots and have their own traditions and genres.

So, I’d love to hear what you guys all know and think about the history of anime and manga, because I really don’t know that much about it!

1 Like

OMG SOME OF THEM ARE SO FUNNY :rofl:

#1 Anime is, in fact, an abbreviated pronunciation of Animation in Japan.

#2 Anime is not synonymous with “cartoon” despite the popular belief held by the “Uneducated” masses. Anime is considered to be an art form by those who appreciate it. A wide range of audiences are targeted with complicated, in-depth, and emotional storylines.

#3 In Japan, there are more than 40 new animes appear on television per week.

#4 In Japan, more paper are used to print manga than toilet paper.

#5 All manga is drawing by hand.

#6 in Japanese, manga means “Whimsical Pictures”.

#7 All genres are represented, but Sci-Fic is by far the most popular; Robots, post-apocalyptic metropolises, and motorcycles are all staples of the art form.

#8 One of the interesting things about manga is that it is widely read by women.

#9 Each resident of Japan spends around 30 £ for manga each year.

#10 Anime is a Japanese word. They don’t use plural, so anime = anime not animes XD

@Discussions

Are you interested in the soundtrack of an anime film?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

I don’t know much when it comes to the origins of anime and manga either, I just know that Manga was originated in Japan during the post-war occupation, with Tezuka’s New Treasure Island appearing in 1947.

Does anyone who invented anime?
And when was the first manga made?

@AnimeNerds

I did go to an anime and manga exhibit but unfortunately I couldn’t really pay attention, it was far too much for my brain to process and I hadn’t heard of most of the anime’s being mentioned (like, Alice in Wonderland apparently had an anime)

Closed due to inactivity