How close are you to your grandparents?

Well, both my grandmothers are still alive. Both of my grandfathers passed away in the last 20 years. My dad’s father passed when I was six years old from a heart attack and my mother’s father passed back in 2017 due to organ failure from dementia. I was pretty close with my grandfather until he started showing signs of dementia. After he got uncontrollable he had to go into a nursing home since he was getting violent. I would see him every weekend when I was younger because we would have Sunday dinner with my grandparents and aunt. I’m still close to my grandmother but there has been a strain on the relationship due to the choices she has made. I also have a tendency to work constantly so I can’t make it to family events sometimes which added to the strain but she is happy that I work though. My other grandmother is almost 90 this year. She is a spitfire of a woman who likes her independence. I get compared to her a lot by my family. I’m not as close as I should be with her to be honest. Though that is mainly because I rarely hang out with my dad’s side of the family other than her during family events. She can’t hear very well anymore because she had a stroke. So, she is not a very social person. She reads lips in order to pick up on what everyone is saying that is if she is even willing to talk about certain subjects.

How close are you to your grandparents?

@Discussions

2 Likes

I was close to my grandma who pay for my piano lessons in 2010, every Christmas Eve, my family would go over to her apartment to have dinner and then go to church. Even though you been lucky to find a $20 in envelope ( I got one year when receive my keyboard and bench as well)

She was a crafty as well, like do pictures with light inside of it.
Although she now with her own family in heaven, I’m going to continue to play piano to honor her life.

I only have 1 grandparent, my dad’s mom. My grandma is kind and I love going to her house, even if it’s old. I can’t wait to visit her again soon!
All of my other grandparents seem like very sweet people, but sadly, none were alive in my life.

I used to see my Grandad every week but my Dad never seems to bring him to the house anymore, probably due to his health tbh
But the last thing he said to me was that as long as I’m happy that’s all that really matters, so we may not be close as in seeing each other all the time but we’re close as in we care about each other from a distance.

i have wildly different relationships with my four grandparents so i’m gonna list all of them here from worst to best

Paternal grandfather: i do not like this man, and i like to believe i have my reasons not to, i do not have a relationship with him
Paternal grandmother: we have a distant relationship, i am not comfortable around her for many reasons, but it’s not to the point where i have pushed her away from my life
Maternal grandma: we don’t have the closest relationship, but she’s very important to me, and i can tell i am as important to her
Maternal grandpa: he’s one of my closest family members, i love him a lot. we’re often in the same wavelength and get along really well despite neither of us being the most talkative. my birthday wish this year was to plant a tree with him (which i accomplished) and i think that shows part of how much he means to me

I only have one living grandparent rn, but I have had… complicated relationships with them, so imma list them separately too

Paternal grandmother: She passed away two years ago but I was never very close with her, and most of the time we did talk was her lecturing me on something or the other. She made many decisions regarding the whole family that actively ruined my life
Maternal grandmother: She passed away when I was 10 so I hardly remember her, but while I did care about her, we were never super close, and I was a little intimidated by her. I did like her though, and I still wear her clothes and use her recipes and all because it feels nice and close
Paternal grandfather: He passed away when I was 14, but we were very close, even if he did make some poor decisions that negatively impacted my life, he was a good grandfather
Maternal grandfather: My only living grandparent right now, we’re very close and I love him a lot. Again, I disagree with some choices he’s making because they’re also negatively impacting my life, but he’s still a good grandfather and I enjoy spending time with him and talking to him a lot. Visiting him at his farm in our village is always something special to me, and it feels like home

1 Like

Not much, sadly. I pretend to get along with them most of the time to keep them happy. On my dad’s side, I see them maybe once a year and on my mom’s side I haven’t seen them since 2019. I live in a different country to them. I just disagree with them so much in many different ways, I’m not sure I even like some of them as people.

I don’t really like this and I know one day I’m going to regret it but I’m not the one to always call and check up on the members of my family and show how much I love them all. I know they know how much I love and care about them and I guess I try to justify my actions with that… I was just never the one to show my emotions when it comes to my family. I was just never comfy with that, I don’t know why…

But I would still say I’m very close to them. We all have a really healthy relationship and I’m so grateful for that! I just really wish I could show them how much I appreciate them, it’s something I’m trying to work on