How creative writing uses grammar

I’m studying creative writing in university so I’ve been learning alot about what separates creative writing from academic writing.

Basically any rule you can think of in terms of grammar can be thrown out of the window as long as it’s to create an effect or as long as it’s done for a reason. In my class we also write essays to go with our work so we can explain any deliberate choices but without those we’d just need to ensure that the effect was actually created when we broke the rules.

@Writers have you ever used Grammar this way?

6 Likes

Interesting, how did the class go?

Grammar in writing has never been my forte. I did try to comply to the rules as much as I could. Usually, I would get a second opinion then make the necessary changes. I use grammarly now when I write on my laptop. I haven’t added it to my phone yet.

Added tags to first post!

1 Like

To me, if your character uses a dialect, then I’d say that grammar doesn’t completely matter.

2 Likes

I like doing this from time to time. If a certain vibe of a grammatically incorrect sentence just fits better for example. Or sometimes to show my character talks in a certain way. It’s quite interesting honestly, playing around with grammar!

2 Likes

Grammarly hates me when I’m writing creatively :joy:

I take a lot of liberties with grammar when I’m writing, mostly because sometimes a grammatically incorrect sentence flows better in my story or I’m writing the way I speak, which doesn’t always follow proper grammar

2 Likes

Lol that is true!

1 Like

Same here, it only depends on what I’m writing.

1 Like

Yep, it hates me as well! I only use it when I think it will make a better sentence when writing creatively.

2 Likes

I mostly use it when I’m trying to write a word that I don’t typically use in writing and have subsequently forgotten how to spell :joy:

Or if I’ve forgotten whether Canadian English uses the British spelling or American spelling of a word

1 Like