How do I become better at talking in english? đź‘€

So, I have a class that requires me to be able to speak freely (and with as little accent as possible) in English this year, which means that I’ll have to improve a lot. (Those who heard me on a VC probably know how bad my German accent sounds :eyes:)
So does anyone have any tips for me so I won’t fail my class? :pleading_face::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

5 Likes

OMG I thought you were a native English speaker :rofl: :rofl:

Hmm, maybe try watching some English (or American?) films/tv shows and try to mimick their accent?

5 Likes

I want to hear your VC!

4 Likes

Try reading out loud? It helped me improve :eyes:

4 Likes

Talking to people out loud! That’s really the best thing you can do to improve your speaking ability in a language

4 Likes

Speak, speak and speak!! Just practice a lot of verbal communication!
Also I think it’s dumb that they’re looking at your accent imo :expressionless: German is so similar to English and honestly accents don’t really matter that much. As long as you can speak and someone can understand you, you’re gouda

4 Likes

Speak English as much you can! You could also try going on voice calls with native English speakers and seeing if that makes any difference.

3 Likes

Lol, people tell me that quite often lately :joy::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

But how do I now which accent I should choose? There are too many different English accents :eyes::eyes:

Believe me, you don’t :eyes: my voice is too high and my accent is annoying :eyes::eyes:

Sounds rad, I should try that :eyes::sparkles::+1:

But I don’t have anyone to talk to :pleading_face:

They always deduct a lot of points for accents at my school… I only got an A- on my oral exam because of my German accent :no_mouth::green_heart:

It helped me a bit with being able to understand faster speakers, but other than that, it didn’t really do much, but maybe I should try again in the future :eyes::eyes::green_heart:

4 Likes

I’m unable to hear anyone’s voice through Vocaroo, anyway.

I really dislike your school :expressionless: :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

It’s kinda dumb how they’re requiring you to speak with “no accent” because in reality, everyone has an accent :rofl::woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I should talk with my russian accent the next time and see how they like that :smiling_imp::green_heart::eyes::sparkles::joy:

3 Likes

They’re okay with English accents tho, they just hate German accents :eyes::eyes:

2 Likes

Warum?

Idk, because they want us to speak like native English speakers? Most of the teachers have even worse accents than me :eyes::eyes::green_heart::no_mouth:

2 Likes

Dass ist blod. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Maybe someone from the forums? :pleading_face:

It really is a good way to get practice with the language

Choose a Caribbean accent jk jk :joy: don’t, that will literally mess you up big time :slightly_smiling_face:

Closed due to inactivity