How Do I Start My Story?! Help Me!

Okay, so I’ve gone through sooo many drafts for my story, and I had a good one, but It still did match the plot.

So, the plot is:

A girl named Melody, a latina who falls in love deeply with her best friend Elijah, after he comforts her when she had depression due to her breakups, and test scores, Melody tells him, and Elijah likes her back. They both go hand in hand through things that they don’t like, but they still do it, and Elijah still comforts her a ton. What happens when Elijah’s EX comes around?

Okay, I’m sorry if it’s cliche, but, GIVE ME TIPS ON HOW TO START THIS STORY!!!

3 Likes

Hmm. Do you have a plan? An idea of when you want things to happen and in what chapter?

5 Likes

I’d suggest fleshing out your characters if you haven’t already. Think about these:

• the characters’ flaws
  • their fears
  • any little thing that’s special about each of them (for example one of the characters hates going to the beach for no reason), just random little things
  • their (dis)likes
  • Anything else :woman_shrugging:

Also, try figuring out the main events in the story and the ending :wink:

6 Likes

Well, I thought of starting it with:

Melody talking about her past, you know where there is a sentence, and a backstory…?

When I tried doing it, it was pretty cringy.

Yeah exposition is hard to do right. It’s much better to start in media res if you’re a new writer — throw the reader straight into the action

3 Likes

Don’t worry, though! After I finish my magic systems post, I’m gonna be doing one on starting stories :relaxed:

3 Likes

I agree with Shannii. I would not start with much backstory. It’s so much more interesting to learn about them as you go. Give background information when it has something to do with what is going on in the story.

Jump right in to the actual story.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it can help but I personally like flashbacks throughtput the story. You can reveal something more about the character in every chapter!

I’d probably start the new chapter with a scene where there’s tension between Melody and Elijah, maybe an anticipation of what it will happen in a certain point of the story!
Or you can start with a moment where Melody felt really upset and Elijah comfort her!
These are just ideas anyway! I hope I helped you!

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity