How do rigid gender norms affect the mental health of people with diverse gender identities?

I think that rigid gender norms can have a really negative effect on people who don’t conform with binary gender identities. I don’t have a lot of experience on the matter, but I believe that pressure to conform is really damaging to the mental health of a lot of people and that rigid gender norms can be an excuse for people to treat people with diverse gender identities badly.

@Discussions

8 Likes

Oh man…yeah.

3 Likes

(this is my personal experience) It mostly manifests in the belief that there’s something wrong with me because I don’t conform to either one. I sometimes feel lost because in a lot of situations, it seems like you have to be one or the other (most prominently in household positions).

2 Likes

hugs

1 Like

I’ll just tag @Discussions here again because I think this could be a very good discussion! What’s your opinion on this? Do you have any experiences that you’d like to share or anything you want to say about this topic?

I think gender norms give some people an excuse to treat people who don’t fit into these norms differently. Also, not fitting in causes some serious mental health issues for some people.

3 Likes

Yeah…

it literally never does any good to categorize people by something they cannot control.

1 Like

It’s just harmful. So much reasons why that I don’t have time to list.

It hurts, causes mental health issues, and is just plain dumb. It hurts me because I am forced to dress and act a way I don’t want to, and doesn’t fit my gender.

1 Like

Gender norms is so hurtfull. I don’t understand how people can still defend those norms.

1 Like

Close due to inactivity :innocent: