How Do You Create Your Characters?

As the title says, in which order do you create your characters?

I usually pick the FC first, I like to be able to visualize my character when I’m writing about their life and things. Then I pick the name, since I don’t like writing about a character I don’t have a name for, and names are important to me. These two things are interchangeable, sometimes I pick the name and then the FC, but I find it’s easier to choose a name that fits the fc than it is to find an fc that fits the name.

After that, I decide on age and sexuality. For age, I usually go to the polls thread because I can’t guess ages for crap lmao

I make the bio and then the personality, usually in that order. If there are things like likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses, skills and fears, etc, I usually make them after I finish the personality.

6 Likes

I usually pick things like the name, age, and gender first, then I go looking for an FC. Once I find one I like, I write the bio and personality. Then, based on that, I’ll do any additional things like fears, likes/dislikes, etc.

3 Likes

I make up the backstory since it’s the most fun, while simultaneously looking for a FC. Then I work on the personality and go back to tweak the backstory.

I pick name, age, gender last because I’m horrible at picking those :star_struck:

3 Likes

I tend to pick out basic details first, like name, age, and gender. Then I’ll either find a FC or work on the personality, then flesh out everything else from there :thinking:

2 Likes

I look for FCs first. Just like you, I like to visualize my characters and sometimes just by looking at the FC you can tell what their personality could be like, how they might act. After that I pick a name, making sure it fits the FC. I don’t care about the meaning behind the name that much, but if I finish writing their backstory I might look for a new name with a meaning.
I think about the personality at the end because that’s the most challenging part for me!

2 Likes

I almost always like to base my characters off of TV shows or movie characters. Call me unimaginative, because, yes, I am, but it’s also because it helps me to visualise the character as I have already seen their personality through the character it’s based off. It also helps because, especially in TV shows, you get to know the characters your basing off and it can help you with how your RP character would react in certain scenarios.

So, yeah, TV show characters are a big part of creating characters. Then the name is very important for me. No, no the meaning of the name, I never really… care about the meaning but I always like for my characters to have names that haven’t been used, on the forums, at least. I don’t really know why, maybe to make them more distinguishable/unique, but I just like to and try to do that everytime.

1 Like

There are actually times when I pick an FC first or along with forming a raw idea in my head. The “raw idea” includes the basic information of the character (age, sexuality (though this can also be left out for later to decide), gender, etc.). It’s fun and it keeps me on track because I then will be reminded how the character is supposed to be like because I’ve associated them with the FC. I make sure the FC befits what I have in mind.

Then I proceed to writing some key words for my biography and personality, eventually turning them into paragraphs. I tend to create the biography first, or at least a fully-developed (but not written out) one and proceed to the personality. Sometimes, I write the personality first because I actually can bore myself trying to think of words I’m blocked from thinking of- or I can actually write them both at the same time.

2 Likes

I just… create them-

1 Like

Y’know, me, I normally stare at the doc for a while on and off procrastinating massively until it’s a couple days before the due date and you can feel the ~~~~~oh sh!t~~~~~ coming off of me in waves :blush:

2 Likes

lol yes.
it’s even worse if there is no due date…

2 Likes

This is actually still true but in a lazier way :sob:

I procrastinate for months and only write when I remember or if I have a solid raw idea for the character. I like to decide the name first too, because it also helps me to visualize the character :eyes:

1 Like

When creating my character I always look at what kind of character I want and how they could become interesting in the storyline.
I often pick out some type of vibe and then either find an fc for it, or write the full character first and then look for a fitting fc.
It also depends on the genres what I first do.
Fantasy: fc first
RL: bio and info first.

@RPers, how you you all create your characters?

2 Likes

Adjectives first. I think of a handful of adjectives and the characters seems to just emerge from them in my head and sort of, talks to me, tells me about them.

1 Like

I don’t… :grinning:
I procrastinate

With a lot of sweat blood and tears

Jk I sit and break my head