How Do You Decide The Best College To Go To?

So um I’m a Sophmore and kinda currently thinking about what my major will be and stuff like that… and also… HOW THE HECK DO YOU DECIDE WHICH COLLEGE TO GO TO?

Lol, I’d assume the cheapest one but it’s probably more complicated than that…

8 Likes

I guess you’re American?

It will be difficult for me to give you specific advice since I’m from another country with a different school system.

First figure out what you want to do. Then worry about the cost is my suggestion. If you don’t know what to do right away, take a gap year or try something you might be interested in, you can always change in the future.

Ugh… sorry, I can’t help you. I would say try different courses and programmes, but since you have to pay for school it would feel like a bit of a waste. Maybe visit the different schools you’re considering?

Maybe @sofia got some ideas. I know that she has applied and gotten into a school. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Oh yeah I’m American lol. Do other places have free school? Cuz if so they’re really lucky. People here go in major debt over college…
I really want to be a teacher but I’m also trying to think of what would happen if I changed my mind… and the fact that being a teacher here doesn’t pay much… So I’m thinking of going into psychology and then getting teaching credentials after if I still wanted to pursue teaching.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s free but we pay higher taxes so I guess it evens out somehow.

That sucks!

Psychology sounds super interesting, teaching too. Hm… good that you’ve started to think about it. :dizzy:

Teachers don’t get that much payed where I live either. :confused:

3 Likes

I just saw this, but yes, I could help! I’m a senior in high school right now and I’ve committed to a college. I applied to seven colleges, I think. But it’s good that you’re thinking about all that now! I had already picked out the college I wanted to go to by the fall of my sophomore year, but I ended up changing my mind after taking a pre-college class in that college.

But anyway, what matters the most to you? Like how much do you care about:

• the cost of the school
  • if the school is close to home or far (so location)
  • the size of the school
  • the ranking of the school
  • the average salary of someone who graduates from the school
  • the graduation rate
  • the retention rate
  • the campus life
  • how big sports are

Then you can narrow down your search. Like some of those things like the graduation rate and retention rate are important to me, but not that important where I narrowed my searches based on that. I’d say maybe start with the size of the school and that could eliminate some? Like I personally wanted to go to a big school, so I looked for big schools and all the schools I applied to were big. Also, make sure to look at the majors. Make sure they have the major(s) you’re interested in and if you aren’t completely sure of what major you want to go with, maybe look for colleges with several majors that interest you. Also, look to see which schools are good in the major you want. Like I’m going into marketing (and may eventually get a double major and/or minor and/or certificate) so I searched up the best universities with the best undergraduate degrees in marketing (or something like that) and then I looked at the universities on the list and I ended up applying to a few there and one of the ones on there is the university I’m going to go to.

So that also applies to how to decide on which college to go to, but that was mostly to decide on which colleges to apply to. You should figure out where you’re going to apply to first and I’d advise on applying to multiple colleges because either you may be rejected or you may end up not wanting to go to the college. Also, the college may give out terrible financial aid, that happened to me with one of the colleges I got into.

Oof, so some of what I said may have not made sense since it’s 2:36 AM and I’m tired, but I’m happy to help if you need more help on deciding or narrowing down your college search!

5 Likes

Moved to school and added a school tag :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

1 Like

Thanks! This will be super useful for everyone who try to decide. :star2:

1 Like

I kind of want to get a double major if that’s possible lol. I really am passionate about being an English teacher and that’s what I really want to be, but it doesn’t really make a lot of money. So I also thought about going into psychology… but I would still want the chance to be an English teacher and work at a private school. So I’m gonna do more research into that double major thing lol.

3 Likes

Well I think double majors are possible at a bunch of colleges! At the university I’m going to, I can’t declare a second major before I start, so I think that’s something I’d be able to declare after my first year or at least after the first semester.

But if you are trying to search for colleges and you don’t have much of an idea, I would suggest you start with some other things such as the size of the school or the best schools in the specific majors you want to go to, because if you search by colleges that you’re able to double major at, you’re still going to have a wide range to choose from so it won’t help you narrow down your college search.

3 Likes

I don’t really want to travel too far so I know that I’m gonna go for something close. I’m also interested in good small colleges lol. So I guess that narrows it down a bit.

2 Likes

Is money an issue for you? Because if it is or if you just want cheaper tuition, if you stay in your state, you might be able to get in state tuition for the college, it depends on the college since some don’t have an in-state tuition. I think it may just be public schools that have an in-state tuition, but I’m not completely sure.

2 Likes

(Confusd British noises) :eyes:

2 Likes

Might be idk. But I just in general don’t like traveling long distance where I’ll have to travel by plane.

2 Likes

Oh, that makes sense! I guess I don’t really like traveling long distance either, but I’m going to college almost across the country lol

Well, just let me know if you need any help or anything with your college search and I’ll be happy to help!

1 Like

Bump!
And not necessarily college, but I was also wondering that lately.
what are the important things and criterias to you when you pick a school/university/college?

2 Likes

Ehm… I just picked among the top tech thingies in my country… ehm and applied on the last day of application. But if there is a tuition fee I guess that’s an important part to take into consideration.

The location wasn’t too important, I saw advantages and disadvantages of living on campus/at home. Yeah… I looked for the schools that had the degree I wanted :dizzy:

2 Likes

How has it gone for everyone who applied for college and uni? :relaxed:

I would say that the education on university level is pretty even between the schools. Going to a more prestigious school and ace it would let you work at top companies but if that’s not too important to you, learning and getting a diploma would be a great start on your working life. :wink:

I’m still scared of applying :eyes: there’s time tho

1 Like

Don’t be scared :smiley:

I’m scared :sunglasses::pleading_face:

1 Like