How do you name your characters?

Naming your character is something you might not think about and just randomly pick, but there are some things that could help finding the perfect name.

How I pick names:

1. Finding a fc:
    Idk about you guys but most faces make certain names pop up straight away and the other way as well, a name can give you a face as well. obviously, if you hear the name Karen, Steve(n), Chad or Grandpa Pete, we all have those faces that pop up.

2. 2.1 Using a randomizer to get more variation (normal names):
    Most names in my head are dutch and those are frankly very hard sounding like Annelies and Dirk-Jan. So I often pick names from either 20th century English names , Royal/Posh names or Stage names
    It mostly depends on what type of name I need but I usually go for the ā€˜stage namesā€™ because ā€œA stage name isnā€™t all that different from a regular name, but stage names are usually easy to remember and to pronounce. Some examples of famous people include Katy Perry (Katheryn Hudson), Natalie Portman (Natalie Hershlag), Jamie Foxx (Eric Marlon Bishop), Nicholas Cage (Nicholas Coppola) and Vin Diesel (Mark Sinclair Vincent).ā€ :nerd_face:

3. 2.2 Fantasynames:
    For fantasy names I often go for Elf names Most will look weird but there are some gems among them that will fit the image that I want. But there are a bunch of other gens on This site so Iā€™m sure thereā€™s one for everyone!

4. Letter science:
    This Article is a short version of multiple different sorts of researches by Penny Pexman and David Sidhu on the effect on sounds and letters and how we associate them. With names, this can also be applied. ā€œIf your first name is Molly or Leo, then youā€™re easy-going. But if you happen to be a Kirk or a Kate, then youā€™re the opposite ā€” more of a Type Aā€. I actually try to keep those things in mind because from their research it turns out that we unconsciously judge people by their name because we often have an image by certain names (as I mentioned in 1.)

Highlighting again a very useful site to get names for your characters and many other things:

@RPers.

• How do you name your character?
  • Are you being random or do you think about it?
  • if you do think about it, whatā€™s your thought process?
1 Like

Haha, Iā€™m working on that now!

2 Likes

well, then maybe my steps can help you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Want to see the fcs? I have a feeling you can help. I have so, so, so many names.

2 Likes

sure!

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a girl I know who looks like this and her name is Sammy :thinking:

2 Likes

Sadly, that name is taken. Itā€™s for FTD.

2 Likes

aaah

2 Likes

Do you want my ideas?

2 Likes

hmm what about:
Octavia
Georgina
Elaine
Ruth
Halynn

2 Likes

yesss!

1 Like

Octavia is actually an idea of mine.

2 Likes

Lola, Mallory, Ash, Aspen, Kyra, Mina, Pandora, Winter, Hazel, Lucy, Alice, Octavia, Kate, Nina, Lyra, Luna, Jane, Lulu, Thorn, Dawn, Charlotte, Blair

1 Like

I like these for her.

2 Likes

Let me know if you think of any more. Iā€™m considering a lot, lol.

2 Likes

Most times it takes me 1 sec to name them.

I usually think of names I have heard before or search on google

2 Likes

Lol. Help.

1 Like

Anagram lol
I have 5 characters: Kiara, Raika, Aikra, Ikara and Akari.
All using the same letters as Kiara because Iā€™m lazy to think for new names.
When I was in primary school I drew comics (but in Chinese) and when I was naming my characters I randomly select two of my classmates and combined their names together (The names are in Chinese so itā€™s more easier to combine.)
So basically some of my characters were ship names of my few classmates :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

fantasynamegenerators.com is rad

1 Like