How do you write your replies? (What do you start with?)

Your first post. The start of the story/interaction. It’s something that can be done in many different ways and starting one can set the tone for the entire conversation. After that you have to continue, does it go naturally or are the replies difficult to make?

Here are some of my personal tips on how I start my replies and how I write my replies.

1. Start of the conversation: Introductie or Summery.
    When I start a new conversation, I find it important that the other person knows what kind of interaction they can expect. If my character hasn’t interacted with them before, I will show their personality with a
    little bit of extra awareness just to make sure the other knows what to expect.

If it’s a new conversation, I usually give a little bit of a summary about what they’ve talked about before or what type of interaction they had before, continuing the same feeling from how their last one ended.
    Exo: My character Dark almost killed Dae (@ethereal) in the FTD tp, so if they were to meet again, the first interaction won’t be like they are best friends but rather Dark trying to avoid Dae or at least him being hesitant and awkward.

2. What to start with every new reply
    Personally, I always give a non-verbal response. I dare someone to find one RP and count how many times I started the post with: “I nodded”. :joy: But for me, I often write a response to the other person first and then go back into the post and see if I can add any new information.
    _
    Personally, I’m someone who’s more interested in quick posts that are on the shorter size that have a lot of interaction, dialogue, and thoughts in them and less about details or a bookwork to just write that someone is grabbing a pen. :sweat_smile:
    _
    Know your style and see how you can mix this with the style of the other person you’re writing with.

3. Non-verbal communication. (usefull when writing longer posts)
    Though I need to start doing this again, there are a lot of ways to show how someone is doing. if you’ve already written that someone is nervous, try adding some details of non-verbal/ body language that will also show this:
    Exp:
    Sophie looks up at the clock for the 6th time in 5 minutes and sees not even a minute has passed. She then lets out a big sigh while tapping her fingers on the wooden table one at a time. She grabs her phone to check the time digitally, as if time moves faster than on the analog clock, before putting down the table again and resting her head on the table surface with a nother sigh.
    Finally, the doorbell rings and she jumps up to see that her package has arrived.

I hope these tips will help some of you with writing your replies.

@RPers, any more tips you guys have that can help with writing an reply?

4 Likes

changed a tag ^~^

When it’s an introductory, I take time to describe my character’s near past and feelings and thoughts. If it’s a reply, I like to start off with my character’s reaction.

2 Likes

DAMN! This is a very strong how-to on writing replies. BRILLIANT!

1 Like

I just do what works best for me - first thing I do is write everything my character would say as a response and then I start working on their reactions and describing how they are feeling!

Yup, this does work best for me and I honestly can’t work on my replies any other way. I’m also such a perfectionist and take my replies seriously so it takes me forever to write something. When I read what I have to respond to, I imagine that scene in my head and try to figure out how my characters would react but first what they would say. I also have an idea of what they’d do while saying it so I try to add little lines just to remind myself later what I have to add.

I'm working on something right now so here's a lil example

When I’m done with dialogue I’ll go into detail, section by section.

I just… go with the flow

1 Like

Same :pensive:

1 Like