How have LGBTQ+ rights changed in the past 50 years?

LGBTQ+ rights have undeniably changed in a ton of places around the world! In the US, same sex marriage has been legalized (with some minor caveats), which is major progress.

How have LGBTQ+ rights changed where you live?

2 Likes

Legal Status:
Legal, since 1981 and the Age of consent brought in line with Hetrosexuality in 2001

Marriage:
Civil partnerships made legal in 2005, Same-Sex marriage in 2014

Gender Identity and Protections:
Legally able to change gender since 2004 and plans are in place to add an “X” identifier to legal documents and lowering the minimal age of transition to 16

2009 Legal penialties were added for discrimination against people for their Gender, Identitiy or sexuality. With further discrimination law coming in 2010

Military:
LGBTQ+ can openly serve in active service, since 2000

Education:
LGBTQ+ Sexual education and awareness has been taught in schools for many years at local council digression. However it was added to the official curriculum in 2018 and teachers

2020, it was reported that became the first country within the world - to have an LGBT history and education curriculum to be rolled out in 2021

This is all I can think of and is mainly legal stuff and frameworks. Socially I know there was a big Shift from 2000+ but I don’t know the ins and outs of it.

Roundup table below from WIkipedia:

3 Likes

Nothing has changed where I live. It’s legal to be whatever sexuality you wanna be but same sex marriage is still illegal. Sometimes i feel ashamed of my country because of that. The boomers here are all homophobic it’s only the young adults and teenagers that aren’t.

2 Likes

Key changes in LGBTQ+ rights in Canada
1969 - homosexuality is legalized

1977 - Quebec includes sexual orientation in its Civil Rights Code, making it the first province to do so

1978 - Homosexuals are no longer an undesirable class under the new immigration act

1992 - The federal court lifts its ban on homosexuals serving in the military

1996 - Bill C-33 is passed, adding sexual orientation to the Canadian Human Rights Act

2000 - Parliament passes Bill C-23, giving same-sex couples the same social and tax benefits of heterosexual couples

2005 - Gay marriage is legalized

2015 - Ontario is the first province to ban conversion therapy

2017 - Gender identity and expression is included in the Canada Human Rights Act

@Discussions - how have LGBTQ+ rights changed in your country over the last 50 years?

4 Likes

Stonewall

I sometimes daydream that I was transported back there.

LGBTQ+ have rights in your countries? Damn

Jk
We have some pride parades
And I think same sex couples are recognized as parents if they have a child

Can’t think of anything else

4 Likes

For a developed country we’re doing terrible.

And conversion therapy still isn’t banned.

4 Likes

American?

2 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

Mmm.

2 Likes

What the-

2 Likes

Uh huh. Thanks Alfred.

4 Likes

Only a few Canadian provinces have banned it. Although, most of those have only banned it for minors. I believe Ontario is the only Canadian province to ban it completely (our previous premier was a lesbian).

4 Likes

Anyone get the reference? :pleading_face:

2 Likes

HAHAHA! This made me laugh, but also cry at the same time.

1 Like

Pretty much…

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity