How much effort do you put into creating your characters?

Making a character often takes time, and there are a bunch of things that can either speed-up or delay your creation. sometimes your ideas flow into your head and it may take a few minutes to get most of the things done, while other times you might be spending hours getting a bio done.

For me, it often takes about 10/20 minutes to make a character. It then takes about 30 min to create a character’s culture or belief when I make a completely different species.

And then you have This which is basically an entire guide book on one of my character’s (Charlia from the Westeria RP) species and their culture. Which took about 2 days to make spread out over multiple months.

@RPers How much effort do you put into creating your characters?

3 Likes

Depends on how motivated I am, tbh

2 Likes

WAY too long for me!

I take around 30 mins to an hour to write out bio and personality, then I suffer during the rp because my character is just words on a screen and I don’t know how they’d act

2 Likes

Are you William Shakespear by any chance?

1 Like

Yeah, I get that and often they end up acting like O would rather than how they would.

My tip would be to gove reasons to certain personality traits.

My best example is usually that two people joined a gang for two different reasons. Person 1 was being abused at home, bullied at school and had to deal with threads from his father. Person 2 purely joined to make money and quickly learned that earning money meant power and respect. Both joined at the same age of 15.

Both 1 and 2 are potentials for becoming leaders after 20 years and because of their past and reason for joining, their view on the future gang would be different.

1 would want to make the gang a safe haven, where everyone is allowed to join who has no where else to go. Safety and loyalty are the number one priority and as long as everyone can be provided, money is shared equally.

2 would want money, lots of it. He would push boundaries and try to earn more the gang’s top goal. Ambition and greed are considered good qualities and the more you earn the gang, the more you earn.

Despite being there equally as long, and being with the same people, their past change them.

1 Like

Depends.

The 2nd

2 Likes

Ooh I see, thank you! I write the backstory first, so I build the personality from there. I haven’t really considered views too much, though, just how events shaped their personality into how it is

1 Like

It helps when you’re stuck on writing their response to a hard situation. We often make decisions based on past experiences and how we’re raised.

1 Like

True, I guess I’ve never really had to write a hard situation. I should consider their past more often :sob:

2 Likes

Wow that’s kinda lame. If I was “that” thing I would never reveal it to the public. :neutral_face::interrobang:

2 Likes

It really depends on the rp but I put a lot of effort into making characters. I’ll take BR as an example because we all really have to think about everything if we want to have quality characters, plots, secrets, storylines… First you have to come up with character’s backstory and personality and that alone takes soooo much time.
Like, this RP started a while ago and I’m still working on my characters, constantly coming up with some storylines with different characters. I have three different slides for my characters + docs and it’s constantly getting updated… And that’s not something everyone else gets to see because it’s only for me, for development I can’t really share now

added the #discussion tag

closed due to inactivity