How much would you charge for a commission?

Art commissions are the backbones to many artists’ careers, but there’s always that question: How much should you charge?
Too much, and no one will buy it. Not enough, and you’re wasting your time or possibly even losing money in the process. There’s a fine line, so my question is - How do you walk it?

I am not in a position to take or give money/commissions, but this has always been something that was interesting to me, cus I hope to do it in the future.

• How much do you charge for your commissions?
  • Do you let customers haggle over prices?
  • What do you think is a appropriate amount to charge for certain pieces of work?

@Artists

3 Likes

Lol, I’m not good enough for commissions.

2 Likes

Lol me too…
But if I did start commissions one day, I’d probably charge 300-400 rupees which is 4-5 dollars :laughing:

2 Likes

Same. Wow, that’s a lot of Rupes.

2 Likes

Yeah, lol…
Or maybe ₹500 which is $6.68
It’s really cheap for you guys, huh?

2 Likes

It’s certainly on the cheaper side, but artists can generally bump up those up with popularity and skill. At the very least, you’re charging for your art because nothing ruins the community more than free commissions.

So take a shot, and if no one purchases anything, then you know you have something to improve, maybe switch your target audience, or move to a social medial platform to gain a larger reach. A lot of it is just gonna take time.

3 Likes

Closed due to inactivity