How old should a child be before they are allowed to play video games?

I think that it depends on their maturity, the type of game they’re playing, and the restrictions their parents set.
My youngest nephew started playing Fortnite when he wasn’t even 5. Of course he got into it because his brother started playing at 7 years old. The only problem was that when quarantine began, they both started playing way too much and with some teenage neighbors online. He started getting more anxious and biting his nails a lot.

It depends on the game really. Maybe 7 or 8

I think it depends on what kind of game it is. I started playing video games when I was 5, but they were child-friendly games and sometimes even educational games. I’d probably have started playing them even sooner but that was when we could afford the games :smile_cat:

1 Like

It depends on the type of game, and the person’s maturity. I can’t say an exact figure so I believe parents should play by ear.

@Gamers

Maybe 8 - 9, once the game is suitable for them though.

Depends on the child and the game. I started playing video games when I was 4-5? Which was a Disney princess game and then Mariokart. Then over a couple years I started playing even more games, including a Harry Potter game and a bunch more games of harder difficulty. But I had also been watching my dad play different video games since I was even younger.

:leaves: Added some tags :leaves:

Personally it all depends on the type of game. If the game is rated 18+, then obviously kids shouldn’t be playing it at all, or at the very least with parental moderating/checking over. However a little match up game is relatively harmless, and could be open to all ages

They can start quite young provided you watch them and maybe even play with them

Closed due to inactivity