How To: Basics of Learning guitar 🎸 🎶

Disclaimer: This is for Acoustic guitar mainly!

Hello! If you clicked on this, congrats! You’ve already taken the initiative to start learning, which was the first step!

But here is a little intro. In this thread there is going to be loads of info about starting your guitar journey. I will put every topic in a hide details that way if you just want to know certain things, you don’t have to read the whole thing.

Also, I have been playing guitar for a little over 1 1/2 years, which I know isn’t very much, but I also have a very musical background including piano for 8 years. And I’m well past the beginner stage of guitar. I will also be pulling info from loads of YouTube videos that I watched during my journey, along with linking some videos and creators. So, I don’t want to hold you up from beginning, so click on what ever info you want!

Where should I get my guitar?

Okay. I spent about 2 months researching for a cheap, yet good quality guitar. And I found one that I still use. Now, to some of you the price might seem like a lot, but most guitars out there that have good quality are like $400-700. So this is an amazing price for the quality of it. Trust me, it’s not a rip off.

Here is the guitar:

I got the bundle, but in the natural color as shown in the second one. The first one includes guitar picks, strings, a strap, a little booklet, and a thingy that I’m sure of it’s use… I got it from this very website so I can insure you that’s it’s not a knock off!

What should I do now that I have a guitar?

What you should do now is well read everything in this. But what you should do first before anything else is to get familiar with guitar terms. Here is a list of the basic and most used ones.

Neck: the long wood thing sticking out of the guitar containing the frets, strings, and tuning knobs

Frets: the spaces in between the metal lines on your guitar neck. You’ll see the frets get smaller as you get closer to the body of the guitar

Body: the biggest part of the guitar that contains the sound hole and bridge

Bridge: the thing that holds down the ends of the strings on the body

Chords: the formations or shapes your fingers make to make different notes/multiple notes played together

Barre Chords: the tougher chords in which your index finger holds down most of a fret, DO NOT START ON THESE RIGHT AWAY

Strumming patterns: the pattern of ups and downs you use

Up strums or “ups”: strumming the strings from the bottom string to the top string. Played on the ‘ands’ of beats

Down strums or “Downs”: strumming the stings from the top string to the bottom string. Played on the beats. The most basic strumming pattern would just be 4 downs played on the beats of course

Capo: a device you place on different frets to put the chords in a different key, or make them higher.

Picks: used to strum the guitar. Held between your index finger and thumb.

Licks or Riffs: a series of single strings played, usually very complicated

Fingerpicking: playing the guitar by plucking certain strings instead of playing them all like you would while strumming

These are most of them, but to better understand, I would really just spend some time looking up the basics of music like beats, notes, chords, keys, and time signatures if you are not familiar with them already. It will make understanding everything much easier.

How do I start playing stuff?

Well everything on guitar is made up of chords. (see previous section for definition) But the thing about guitar is you can learn only like 4 chords and play soooo many songs. You’d be surprised how many hit songs you’d be able to play with just 3 or 4 beginner chords. Like it’s kinda insane.

But anyways. Let’s get started on the beginner chords. Here are their names.

• G
  • Em
  • C
  • D

I will show you how to play these in a minute, but master these chords before moving on to any other ones such as barre chords. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT YOU SHOULD NOT LEARN BARRE CHORDS RIGHT AWAY. You will get so frustrated and annoyed. This being said with the same amount of stress though, DO NOT AVOID THEM. Once you’ve mastered normal chords, then you need to learn barre chords. Don’t avoid them. They will unlock even more songs. They will be so annoying and you’ll be like “why can’t I play this” or “why can’t I transition to them fast enough!” But power through, they will come I promise.

But that’s enough said of that. Here are some more common chords

• Am
  • Bm (beware this is a barre chord)
  • F

Now. I’m going to link videos that explain this in an easy way!

Lesson 1 - https://youtu.be/W1nFxdPFJ-0

Lesson 2 - https://youtu.be/6ny8htqHHuM

Lesson 3 - https://youtu.be/hb9G4EqA-LI

Lesson 4 - https://youtu.be/l2Ioh1iw8DE

Lesson 5 - https://youtu.be/TRZilL-BDbI

Now you’ll notice these are all by Marty Music. He will come up later, but because you are reading this now I will tell you, he literally is a god and has made so many amazing videos to get you started! But we’re not going to go there yet :wink: Look at my next section to find out how to now play these chords!

Strumming Patterns?

Ok. Strumming patterns can be super confusing and seem super un-natural at first. But with time and time only, they will become part of you. I sometimes and just sitting I class and start strumming patterns on my leg. :joy: It will become more natural I promise. And I don’t want to confuse you too much with this, so I’m just going to link a playlist that teaches you many of the main strumming patterns. But here is the thing, they have no rules. For many songs, I just make up a strumming pattern that seems to fit. Or I listen to the song and copy that. But that comes with time so don’t try to rush making some up. Just stick to the basics first. If you get ahead of yourself, you will only hurt your journey.

Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP3kvqg_Ut84SdgE4V0Cn6Hb7Rvxrd_A3

Now that playlist has way more than just the strumming patterns, but it’s only one with all of them on it. So just do them in order stating with the first lesson of strumming patterns. This playlist will show up later too.

Playing Songs?

Okay so now that you’ve learned some chords, it’s time to put them together to learn some songs that you know! I have some that I have put together and I will show pictures of those, but here are some playlists of songs that include really simple chords, but really fun songs!

Marty Music’s -

Songs that I’ve put together!

Finger Picking?

Now this is yet another thing you shouldn’t rush into. I have the definition of what this is in the second section. But the further explain it:

Finger picking in essentially putting your left fingers on certain strings, or forming chords with them, and then only playing (or plucking) one or a few strings. Songs like this include Shallow from a Star is Born, Before you go by Luis Capaldi, and Sweet Home Alabama. But these songs can all be played without plucking the strings. It’s just how the original songs are played. Here is yet again Marty.

https://youtu.be/RY3BllNolnY

Why am I getting buzzing when I play chords like F and C?

My friend. Everyone who has ever played guitar has asked themselves this question. And I have a few answers to it.

1. You aren’t pressing down on the strings hard enough. Usually it’s just because your finger is in an odd position and you don’t realize your not pressing down with it. Though it shouldn’t take much to press down on a string and get a sound
  2. Your nails are too long. This was the case for me as I like my nails long. Basically, if your nails are too long, they slightly touch other strings which causes that buzzing sound.
  3. It just takes time. Your fingers won’t be used to bing in those uncomfortable positions such as C and F right away. But soon enough they will become easier. I promise.

Those are really all the reasons I can think of. But trust me, in time it will go away.

Oh my gosh my fingers hurt so bad and have dents in them!

Okay this part sucks. And guess what, it takes time once again. Your fingers are soft, and won’t be used to pressing down on the strings like that. The dents are obviously from the strings if you didn’t get that. But here is how it will go away over time: overtime your fingers will develop sort of callouses where they hurt right now, so that when you play, you can play for hours and not feel a thing because the skin isn’t soft anymore.

The only advice I have for this is just when your finger tips start to hurt, power through for 5-15 minutes, and then STOP. You have to power through a little, or your callouses will take forever to come, but don’t go to the point where they are like black and blue or bleeding. Cause that’s not good.

Where can I find songs to play for free?

I have a couple answers to that. All of which I will link below.

The most wide range is on YouTube. You can literally look up almost any song on YouTube and find a guitar tutorial. And many versions too depending on your skill level. Here are the channels I usually go to when I’m looking for songs

Marty Music - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmnlTWVJysjWPFiZhQ5uudg

The Groovy Guitar Dude - https://www.youtube.com/user/Codyjoyce13

Guitar Goddess- https://www.youtube.com/user/michellesings89

Marty Music has songs for all skill levels! Which is why I’ve been using him forever. The other two making are just songs for beginners or just something easy to play!

Now to websites. I have two I use. The first one is SheetMusicDirect. Nowwww this isn’t free, but I highly recommend it. It has music for almost every song, and literally you can find sheet music for instrument. I have a subscription which is only $10 a month but what that does for is: I get access to every single song online for free, half off every purchase I make so I can print the music out. I highly recommend this site, however I know not everyone wants to pay money. So the other website I use is Ultimate Guitar. This is also an app, but you can get most everything online. The only thing with this cite is that sometimes it’s not very accurate. So before using this, I recommend looking at the YouTube channels I linked to see if they have it. Pay attention to the ‘tuning’ on it though because for some songs you’ll need a capo.

SheetMusicDirect - Account Log In at SheetMusicDirect.com

Ultimate Guitar - ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS - 1,100,000 songs catalog with free Chords, Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Ukulele Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs!

I hope these places help you guys!

Do I *need* a teacher?

The answer to this is tough. Especially because people are all over the music knowledge board when it comes to people that want to learn guitar. For me the answer was yes. I am self taught. The reason for this is that I live in a small town and there isn’t anyone who teaches guitar. But in my opinion, for every instrument your first option should always be to look for a teacher first. I know that might be awkward for some of you, but it’s the truth. A teacher that has experience can help you so much. That’s why I am looking into starting online lessons.

But a teacher is probably mandatory if you have no musical experience. If you don’t play any other instrument, don’t try to self teach. Even if your in a music class but don’t play an instrument, don’t self teach!

A teacher is a step that is almost inevitable. There will come a time where YouTube videos aren’t enough anymore. That’s where I’m at. I mean sure, if you just wanna play casually, YouTube videos and websites will be fine. But if your like me and are always wanting to improve, a teacher will come into play at some point. Just another reason I am looking into online lessons. You can find more videos on YouTube explaining the importance of a teacher.

Two useful links

A beginner guitar playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP3kvqg_Ut84SdgE4V0Cn6Hb7Rvxrd_A3

How to tune your guitar - https://youtu.be/5jTsSvkBv60

Ahhh! At last I finished!

I really hoped this thread helped at least one person out there. Fellow guitar players let me know if I missed anything! I easily could have as sometimes we forget what questions we had when we were starting out! Thanks for reading! Took me like 2 1/2 hours to finish it :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hey, thank you so much for this guide! :heart_eyes: I love playing instruments but I can’t play that many… :laughing: I’m not good at practicing by myself. (Or I know how to play the flute, that’s it.)

I’ve tried to play the guitar but I think my fingers are too weak. :joy: I can’t do the chords where you need to hold down on a whole column with the index finger. (My terminology is the worst sorry for butchering it.) So are my fingers too weak? Am I doing it wrong? How can I strengthen my fingers?

Edit: Is it okay that I commented here? I can remove it if you would like to have more space for your tutorials. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ahhh. The wonderful barre chords.

So to answer your question, no. Your fingers are not to weak. Well, they might be at the moment, but they will get there eventually. Just do not play them as soon as you can play other chords. I would recommend learning Bm as your first barre chord

The way you can strengthen your fingers is just by playing everyday for like 30-60 minutes. I usually play more than that though :sweat_smile: all I can really say is just take it slow. If you don’t, you’ll become really unmotivated and feel like you can’t do anything. So. But no thank you for posting!

1 Like

Oh that’s what it’s called XD

Oh nice, I’ll try that.

Oh… that’s a lot :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much! This was really helpful :relaxed:

1 Like

Yea totally! Tell me how everything works out for you!

1 Like

How-to guide (TL Edition)

• Find the old guitar that’s been sitting around since you decided you wanted to learn in 3rd grade then just stopped
  • Watch 1 tutorial video
  • use your amazing piano knowledge to BS your way through it like a god
3 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

This thread is so cool! I’ve always been interested in playing guitar but have never managed to do it :pleading_face:

1 Like

I’ve been playing the last couple of days and my fingers are dead hehe

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity :guitar: