How to - Create & Keep Track of Characters

Most if not all of us who enjoy writing know what’s it’s like to have a great story idea, but you end up struggling with figuring out who your characters are. Or if you are great at creating characters but stink at keeping track of them. Well here’s how you could fix both of those irritating problems.

We all know that without great characters a story will fail, even if you have an amazing plot if your characters are shit or unrealistic it ruins your plot to some degree. And no one wants that to happen, I mean if you put all your heart into something yet it fails because you didn’t create that good of characters it can be upsetting and sometimes even discouraging.

Creating characters might seem like such a time waster and it might seem daunting at first, but in the end, it is worth it. Having well-rounded characters makes your writing much better then if you don’t have well-rounded characters. There are many ways to create a character but I think the best way to do it is to have 1. a questionnaire and 2. take your time, don’t rush it. Heres an example of a simple, not too detailed character questionnaire Example.
If you don’t wish to create your own questionnaire there are some great ones online (links will be at the bottom of this post).

Essentially a questionnaire can include anything, especially if you create your own – there are no specific or proper questions for a character questionnaire. (I do end up calling it a questionare but usually they are called Character Charts or Sheets I think.)

I myself am actually super guilty of not planning out characters, for the longest time, I would never do it therefore when I started writing the characters personality and dialect would always change in the middle of scenes. But lately, I have started to realize the importance of planning out your peeps. (So my advice may not be the most sound but I figured I could try to help others out)

Another thing that I have yet to add is I think if your a good artist sketching out what your characters look like to you can be super useful, or if you’re just skilled at photo editing, edit a bunch of faces together to make something similar to how you picture them. Doing any of those can be helpful in scenes where you’re describing a character for whatever reason.

Keeping track of characters can be boring, and you might forget but there are plenty of reasons why you should keep track of them. The main one being you don’t want to forget something about a certain character. You could just keep your characters in a google doc with their planning sheets, but doing that for every character can be very space consuming.
My preferred way of organizing and keeping track of characters is either using notebook.ai (link will be below) or making a slideshow for the characters using Prezi (link will be below)

To me doing either of those options makes it easy for me to access a character to check what I’ve written about them and it makes it so I can also keep track of whether or not they are alive or not in a story!

I realize this might not have been the most descriptive post – and it might not have even been that helpful, but if ti was (is) helpful to anyone that’s awesome!

Links -

Notebook.Ai - Comes with areas to fill out things for both characters and world creation (aka character and world creation sheets)

Prezi - Heres how I usually track my characters, I’ll put an example of a quick one down below.

Prezi Character Thing Example - You can click on whichever square and it’ll give you details.

I do hope that this was mildly helpful to anyone.

15 Likes

Yes! I love this post!

This is always my go-to recommendation :sunglasses:

5 Likes

This is so informative! :3

You and Shannii are both like treasure-troves, lol. Made me kinda wanna do character sheets with sketches and information beside the sketches :eyes:

3 Likes

Notebook.ai also has this great thing where you can @ other characters so you can keep track of their relationships with one another. It makes it super easy! I’d always recommend the premium for fantasy writers, personally! I’ve spoken to the creator and he’s implementing timeline and family tree sections eventually. When that happens, I’ll need nothing else

5 Likes

I never knew that you could do that. I guess you learn new things every day. Timeline and family tree sections would end up super useful.

3 Likes

This is really helpful!

I’ve taken up writing recently, and keeping track of all the characters is really hard. :heart: This makes it much more easier! :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Oh my God. Thank you so much for recommending Notebook.Ai. I just started using it today!

2 Likes

You weirdly helpful demon, did you get more baby hellhounds this morning :joy::rofl: I’m bookmarking this. Tysm

3 Likes

Yeah I did. Their actually the ones writing these posts. Ive just been sleeping all week. :joy:
Im glad you think Im helpful An.

2 Likes

:joy::joy: Your super helpful Art

Possibly more than me

1 Like

Bookmarking!

2 Likes

If anyone isn’t sold on notebook.ai yet, I made a post a few months ago that might convince you :wink:

5 Likes

Just kind of another writing resource I suggest, like Notebook AI but free with more stuff. I’d suggest checking out https://www.worldanvil.com. It’s amazing as well! (I’ve been using it for one of my stories and I think it’s really helpful)

1 Like

Oh ive seen that before! I tried using it and then it crashed :joy:

1 Like

:joy: I mean, it’s worked fine for me last time I tried. (Of course that was a little while ago.) It’s fun to try out all the features, but then I realize I actually have to think of things for my story. :smiley:

1 Like

It looks good. So Ill try it again.

1 Like

Personally for me, I prefer notebook because worldanvil looks like a wiki and that stresses me out :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:joy: Yeah, for me it was confusing at first but once I got used to it I liked it a lot. I guess it’s an acquired taste?

1 Like

Bumperino

2 Likes

Nice topic @Artey! I will definitely be bookmarking this!

3 Likes