How to design your own villain

Ok, so villains are very cool. Historically, many of them have been better than the mc, so of course we would want to represent them well when creating our own.
I’m gonna list a few tips, things to avoid and things to try :] Feel free to add your own or expand on mine as you see fit! Also, if you create a villain oc based on any of these tips, feel free to share them here!

Things to avoid:

• Caricatures. This should go without saying, but please don’t be racist/fatphobic/bodyshaming ect. lmao. That includes designing your characters solely with pointy noses and long chins (Jewish caricature and inherently anti-Semitic)

That’s about it lol, go wild otherwise

Tips:

• dark colours are always cool, as they can represent evil and all. (Black and bright red/green/orange/yellow/ect. are fun favourites)

• Think about their character and WHY they are a villain. Loves violence? Incorporate blood or a weapon of sorts. Power hungry? Weave that into how they carry themselves and the clothes they wear. Mysterious? Maybe cover part of their face to act as the illusive mask ™

• There personality and background are huge parts of their development. Loves making jokes? They’ll probably be smiling, laughing, or at least have smile lines. Broody and pessimistic? The opposite applies. Are they that smol cutesy thing that you’d never expect to be evil? Yes make them a smol bean that can destroy everything

Things to try:

• Maybe like a pastel coloured character that you’d NEVER in a million years expect to be evil, but just have one clue to their actual identity, like a vial of poison poking out of their pocket or something

• Don’t be shy on body composition. Arms three times the length of their body? Go for it! Wings on their feet? Sure! Spaghetti for hair? Good for dinner!

@Artists - feel free to contribute!

7 Likes

Also like what type of colors are seen as evil in your world

Many of my “villainous” characters wear white as white is seen as an evil color (because of the connection to ghost and dying) though the goddess of the underworld just wear white because it’s cool and isn’t evil lmao-

1 Like

two-faced villains I love this type of villians!

1 Like

Okay, is the theme villains this week?

SMOL BEANSSS

1 Like

Love these tips. WOW. (heart_eyes)

2 Likes

Hehehehe I can finally make evil Cali :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I designed a minor villain. Literally the only reason she was villainous was because of people being scared of her. She was just misunderstood.

1 Like

YES!

1 Like

Yes, she has two left hands. I’m aware.

2 Likes

Makes her even more disastrously evil :wink:

1 Like

Dun, dun, dun…

1 Like

This reminds me of Nico di Angelo…
He’s not a villain tho…

3 Likes