How to draw hair

I really struggle with drawing hair. What’s worked best for me is to get the general outline of the hair shape that I want and then draw small sections of hair to all go together. Naturally, the best way to draw hair really depends on the art style, but it’s hard for me in pretty much every art style.

Do you struggle with drawing hair?
What’s your best advice for drawing hair?

@Artists

12 Likes

Added hair tag :wink:

6 Likes

totally forgot we had that one :eyes:

6 Likes

No :star_struck: it’s my favorite part to draw-

Start by doing hair strands to get a shape, then make an outline of it on a different layer

5 Likes

Yes, definitelyyy

Focus on the big picture instead of adding details at the start. Find the shape of the hair and follow its flow. After you have the basic shading, add more depth and highlights.

3 Likes

this doesn’t sound legit :star_struck:

When I had to do a realism assignment, the hair was fun but it was so time consuming, just because of how much definition the hair needed

3 Likes

I ditched drawing because of hair :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s fun to draw :star_struck:

I don’t really do shading that complicated, though it’s easier digitally-
But in realism, hair is really hard :sob:

4 Likes

It’s definitely a lot easier in different art styles, there are a whole bunch of cartoons with really simple hair. Realism makes hair so evil

3 Likes

Definitely. I tried doing realism once and the hair made me almost drop out of school :star_struck:

Meanwhile with cartoony hair it’s hard to get the shape right-

4 Likes

With an actual or digital pencil?

2 Likes

create your own hairbrush ! i can probably tell u how depending on what art platform u use

i cant believe-

how do u do that ? thats going to break your hands if u do so many strands like that

1 Like

not that many strands :joy:

2 Likes

have u tried using brush tools for hair specifically ?

I struggle with drawing hair, but I tend to struggle with drawing just about anything.

Well, for the best I can seem to do, (and this is digitally) I start with a quick outline of where I want the hair to go. The basic shape and hairstyle. From there I’ll start drawing lines of the actual path of the hair. I do this with a few different colors, trying to have a mix between a few different shades. Then, I blend it all together carefully blending it just enough to no longer be individual lines and to fill in most of the gaps between lines, while still providing that variation in colors. Then, I repeat with drawing lines again, with an additional focus on the areas that there weren’t enough lines the first time. At that point, I look at how it looks overall and fits my vision, to decide whether to repeat the blending process, add more individual lines, adjust the shape of the hair, or if it looks complete.

shading the hair tho-
UGH

Closed due to inactivity