How to find your character's strengths & weaknesses

So it may look more fun to have a strong character who has it all and is able to handle any situation, but at the same time, a good balance keeps you as a writer on your toes as well.

Weaknesses:
Some people may think of weaknesses as something like ‘fire is weak to water’ or ‘Not being fast’ and they are, but there are so many more things you can see as weaknesses:

Examples:

• Friends can be a weakness because they can be used against you to make you do something.
  • A specific personality may be your weakness if you have to work together with that other character and to achieve their goal.
  • Fears are a great weakness but make sure you give a reason behind it to pinpoint if there are occasional moments where they aren’t straight-up weaknesses or have moments of growing from them. For example, my character is scared of thunder, but only when they are outside.

Strengths:
The same goes with strengths, I see people use skills as strengths such as kindness, being athletic or smart, but if you think about your own life, there might be more things that give you strength.

Examples:

• Loved ones: as long as your character has this person/ these persons they will never give up or break down.
  • Strength in personalities or backstory: Though these are used they can be more hidden things as well. Exp: My character had a little sister he couldn’t protect, so now he is very protective of girls who are younger than him.
  • Weaknesses: Look at your weaknesses and think of something that counters the weakness a little. Example: My character is bad at writing things, but because of this he remembers everything instead.

Some tips to find the best weaknesses:

1. Background and personalities:
    After you’ve written the background and personalities of all the characters, you will be able to spot some perfect and natural weaknesses and strengths that will give your character some natural balance.

2. Character Goals:
    Setting character goals might help to find fun and unique weaknesses.
    Exp 1: My character wants to get a boyfriend but she’s very shy.
    Exp 2: My character is poor but wants to be part of this popular group at school.
    See how their strengths can help them achieve that goal and how the weaknesses can keep them from getting to that goal. This way it will also be fun to push your character to develop.

3. Try new things!
    It’s easy to go back to the same weaknesses for every character. just 5 basic things you can apply to every one of them. but try finding fun new unique ones from time to time. It will help set you characters apart and it’s where those characters will all react differently in the same situation.

What about everyone else?

• Do you guys have any more fun ways to find your character’s strengths & weaknesses?
  • How do you guys find the best for your characters?
  • Do you often go back to the same strengths & weaknesses?

@RPers

5 Likes

Or just make a mary sue with an Achilles heel that balances out

2 Likes

Lol

1 Like