How to Fix Your Mary-Sues

Originally published at: https://shanniiwrites.com/2019/03/30/how-to-fix-your-mary-sues/

Mary-Sue characters can ruin a great story. Here’s how to avoid them!

19 Likes

I kept looking at that to fix my characters! Well done!

3 Likes

Hey @ChaoticDeluge do you have any Mary Sues?

4 Likes

Really? I was thinking of doing a few more blog posts with matching quizzes like this!

3 Likes

Me

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I love this. I keep making Mary Sue characters and never finishing stories because I hate them. I love that you included ways to fix this, I’m going to try them out!

Though there are some big stories with Mary Sue characters cough a big author with a real author’s name…

3 Likes

Who are you talking about? You can pm me the name if you don’t want to say it on this thread. I’m just curious is all.

2 Likes

I’m glad you like! I’m probably going to be adding more “advanced” tips on top of these ones for the next Mary Sue blog post since my website isn’t just aimed at Episode writers anymore :stuck_out_tongue: Hopefully you’ll find some stuff to help!

5 Likes

Mary-sue bump

5 Likes

Bump!

Have you ever written a Mary-Sue? How did you fix it?

1 Like

B 7 m 0

Bump

These are some great tips to fix Mary Sues. Personally, I am fed up with Mary Sues, since they are so “perfect” they seem inhumane. Flawing your characters is not bad. It’s not bad at all. It is actually a great exercise to learn and make your characters more realistic. That way, the reader can relate more to the mc. Nobody is perfect!

As somone whose MC is almost always very close to being a Mary-Sue, I need this advice! :joy: I never really thought of them as boring, even in the books I read, but I understand why others might find them boring. My main way to fix Mary-Sues is to give some background characters more importance so the whole world doesn’t revolve around the MC. And I let them fail, so I guess that makes it not too bad :smile: But I’m bad at giving my characters real flaws, so I’ll work on that more now

This post was really useful in talking about how Mary Sues come up and how to deal with them! I see so much “chosen one” stuff in fantasy that really just has the one character that has to do everything which can often take away from the story really easily. While the narrative can work well, it is automatically set up to have one character designed to control a whole lot of stuff. I think showing failure and allowing other characters to take the spotlight really do help set apart characters who happen to be the person to save the world from Mary Sues who take over the narrative. Doing something wrong or failing are also really nice in humanizing characters, because it can make them feel a lot more real. No one just succeeds at everything, and it’s always boring when there are no stakes in action.

I remember writing an explanation of the Mary Sue phenomenon from a psychological perspective. Unfortunately, that was on the WattPad forums. Poof, gone with the shockwave :sweat_smile:

Just adding tags

Hey @Bloggers, need help with how you can avoid creating Mary-Sue characters?
Take a read of this and tell me what you think!

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (it’s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

4 Likes

What if I don’t wanna fix my Mary Sues? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes