How to get over your fear of the gym

Gyms can be scary, I know that. For the longest time I was scared of going and being judged by everyone because I probably wasn’t doing things the right way or I just looked awkward. I was insecure and would always hope there was an empty corner where I can stand so people won’t pay that much attention to me. But that was a long time ago! I quickly became comfortable and now I love going more than anything!
Here are some things that helped me get over that fear and hopefully this would help you too!

1. Bring a friend!

My dad and I go to the same gym so I was lucky enough to have someone that would help me! Later my friend joined me and that helped even more. It’s always good to have someone who would take your mind off how you look while you are working out and make you focus on what you’re doing. With a friend you feel more relaxed and are able to have fun!

2. Prepare your workout before you go

Before you go make sure to write down everything you want to do. Every set and rep! It helps with that awkward situation when you just stand and think what now? In my notes I have a lot of workouts already planned out, for every part of the body and it helped me so many times.

3. Try to focus

I know, I know… it’s not easy to focus when you constantly think people are watching you! But when you’re focusing on what you are doing you won’t have time to compare yourself to others. Remind yourself of how great you’re doing! (:

4. Start with something familiar

If you do something that’s familiar to you like running or getting on the exercise bike it will make you feel more comfortable and ready to move on.

5. Observe

Give yourself a break from time to time and just observe. If you’re afraid you don’t know how to do something or how to use something just observe people around you, it will help you understand things.

6. Avoid peak hours

When I first started I tried to avoid peak hours as much as possible! Try going when not many people are there!

I hope this helps and if you have some tips feel free to share them!

4 Likes

I’m afraid of gymnasiums because I have bed experiences with balls…once I was in my school’s gym helping to set something up and I had a panic attack when a couple kids started playing basketball

I don’t like going to my gym since I feel uncomfortable there (there are A LOT of creepy old men that go to my gym. They stare at you~ so girls my age rarely go)

I would say that if you’re just getting started going to the gym, see if there are any exercise classes. Having someone guide you in your workout and showing you how to properly exercise without hurting yourself can be really beneficial!

Added #tips tag :star_struck:

Still scared.

Closed due to inactivity