How to Host a Murder (game series)

The How to Host a Murder series of games (which can be found here) has downloadable and boxed versions of murder mysteries. They’re designed to be played with moderately large to terrifyingly large groups of people who act as characters in a mystery and uncover clues to solve the crime.

Long description of the basic setting and characters of The Watersdown Affair (the first in the series of How to Host a Murder games)

It is January 1936 at an English country mansion. Sir Roger Watersdown, the wealthy owner of Watersdown Beverages, Ltd., has invited several friends to a weekend party in the countryside at his mansion. But soon murder is discovered, and the friends must decide who among them committed the crime. Perhaps the answer to this crime can be found in a deeper investigation of the setting and the relationships between host and guests? How too, too awful a beginning to a country weekend. I welcome you on behalf of Sir Roger and the entire Watersdown Mansion household, and I hope your stay will be a pleasant one. As you assume the role of one of these eight characters and solve the mystery, you and your guests will enjoy hours of suspense and intrigue. All you need is a sense of humor and a light-hearted approach toward blackmail, theft and deceit. - How To Host A Murder is so much fun, it’s almost criminal!

You are invited to Watersdown Mansion, home of Sir Roger Watersdown. Assume the role of one of these eight worldly characters. Imagine your home a stately English mansion as you and your dinner guests enjoy hours of suspense and intrigue. All you need is a sense of humor and a willingness to take a lighthearted attitude toward blackmail, sex, larceny, deceit and murder. The game is designed for eight adult players. Solve the mystery – discover the murderer – and prove yourself innocent of the crime. How To Host A Murder is so much fun, it’s almost criminal.

Roger S.B Astrid - Roger is Sir Roger’s log lost illegitimate son who was kidnapped in infancy by his nurse. Although planning to become an architect, he has taken advantage of a stay in Europe to indulge in a favorite hoppy, mountain climbing. Sir Roger, having discovered that Rog is his son, has made him welcome at Watersdown Mansion. At Watersdown, he called ‘Rog’ to avoid confusion.

Miranda T. Shetes - A very beautiful and talented young American actress, acclaimed for her maturing talent and classic profile. She recently portrayed Miss Hardcastle in She Bends Over to Conquer by Oliver Goldmint. This cinematic triumpg brought her before the public eye and has launched her career in serious drama. To close friends she is known as ‘Randy’.

Prosper Alvin Bates, Esquire - Sir Roger’s lawyer, personal advisor and golfing companion. He is talented golfer and his legal practice consists of handling Sir Roger’s business affairs. He is a director on the board of Watersdown Beverages, Ltd. and a frequent guest at Watersdown Mansion. Solicitor Bates’ country home, Whole-in-Won, features a private driving range and adjoins the Watersdown estate. By his friends he called ‘Pro’.

Eiaguielle R. Aminmund - Sir Roger’s confidential secretary, she is a highly talented and motivated person. Since the death of Lady Watersdown four years ago, she has often acted as Hostess at Watersdown Mansion weekend parties. She is in charge of virtually all operation at the Mansion. Because her name is so long, her friends call her ‘E’.

Dr. Malcolm K.T Praktiss - A Harlet Street physician, Dr. Praktiss is quite wealthy and Sir Roger’s personal physician. He is also Sir Roger’s frequent bridge partner at the Gribbley, the exclusive London card club to which they both belong. He is quite personable and a well-liked professional with a growing reputation as Healer to the Rich. He has never married but has many women friends. His friends call him ‘Mal’.

Dame Allison Bigh - A writer of English mystery novels, Dame Bigh has enjoyed great popularity and success since her best seller, The Knife Slices Coldly, was published 2 years ago. Since that novel, her writing has been praised for its lifelike characterization of the criminal mind. The Dame is a guest at Watersdown to gather material, and mood, for her new book. Sir Roger is a great admirer of her work. Dame Bigh is known as ‘Ali’ to close friends.

Donald J. Brooks - A city banker and Sir Roger’s nephew. At age 35, Mr. Brooks has attained a large degree of success and enjoys a reputation as a brilliant financial strategist. He has been featured recently in Banker’s Fashion News and is developing a wide range of international associations that are proving quite valuable to his career. In the family Mr. Brooks is known as ‘Donny’.

Florence Wing Brooks - The wife of Donald J. Brooks and the heiress to the fortune of The Earl and Lady Wing, both still living. Incredibly beautiful, Florence was a fashion model until her high society marriage to Mr. Brooks and was well known as the “Far Eastern Eye Shadow” girl. Since marriage, she and her husband have travelled widely. Florence exudes charm and vivaciousness. Her parents call her ‘Flo’.

• Have you ever been to or hosted a murder mystery party?
  • Do you want to attend or host one in the future?
  • Do you think that you would want to purchase something premade, like this, or create your own story?
  • Do you have any experience with the How to Host a Murder games? :eyes:

@Gamers

3 Likes

I have been to one and dressed for the occasion, but I was 8 or 9, so I only watched.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t you add the #weekly-theme tag here?

I’ve always wanted to host a murder mystery part, and creating your own story sounds fun! That way it’s more original.

1 Like

shows me to do stuff when i’m tired :joy:

it seems really hard :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Gamers this thread is super old but it doesn’t look like it’s been given a chance so, come give it one :eyes:

1 Like

WOW! I was just looking at one of these games two days ago and saying that we (mum and I) should host one. Then I read the beginning of and realised how outdated and racist it was. Oh, boy.

Ah yes. My parents enjoy them.

Closed due to inactivity