How to make background characters look realistic ✨

So I have been on episode for quite some time now, and in most stories, the background characters look tacky and unreal.

:heart:
Here are my tips on how to make better BG characters!

• Give them an ethnicity
    When you design a character, you need to know where they are from. I use ethnicity generator websites and then base the character’s look on said ethnicity’s facial features. Like if I make a korean character, I want to see how koreans usually style their hair or do their makeup, or if I make a black character, I mostly give them natural/braided hair, because that is usually the hairstyle I see black passerbys wearing.

• Give most of them natural hair and eye colors.
    I have seen many stories where the background characters look like they just came out of a Hot Topic store. For example, a black girl with no makeup and brown eyes, but then has a whole head of light blue braids, or pale characters with purple monolid eyes and long blond hair. It looks unreal. Maybe 1/10 people you see on the streets or school have unnatural hair colors, while the mayority have natural colored hair.

• Their outfits.
    If they are in a club, give them club party outfits, if they are in school, give them comfortable casual outfits, if they are at work, give them a uniform. Also, if some of your BG characters are muslim women who wear a hijab, give them modest clothing, don’t give a character a hijab while having them walking around in a tank top.

13 Likes

Cewl

Added some tags :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

This thread is really helpful :eyes::sparkles::+1:

1 Like

Bump!!

Does anyone else give all their background characters names? I always, no matter how insignificant the character is, give them a proper name instead of just ‘waitress’ or ‘doctor’

1 Like

I always leave it blank, so if they talk, you can’t see the display name. Sometimes I actually do give them names though.

1 Like

@Episodians ~ Do you work on trying to make your background characters realistic? What’s your best advice on making good background characters?

1 Like

Bump (:

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity.