How to make good flashcards

Flashcards are really useful to study! Although this is gonna discuss how to make flashcards well, the most important thing is actually making the flashcards! The process of writing the information down on flashcards will actually help a lot with studying, which is more than half the battle. So, my first advice is to use pen and paper. You can cut up a normal piece of paper to smaller sizes if you want or use index cards, but doing it on physical paper is much better for memory than online tools or printing something out.

I’ve found that flashcards work best when they have a little bit of information on both sides of them. Don’t write whole paragraphs or lots of details. I’ve used them a lot to study things like other languages, and having them for individual words and smaller things works better for me than for full sentences. It also breaks everything up into tasks that can be done quickly.

You can make them look pretty if it helps you with them, such as making their letting look nice, but this shouldn’t be your primary focus.

Finally, when using flashcards, you should focus on what you’re weakest at. Put more emphasis on what you get wrong rather than what you get right! It’ll help make sure that your weak points get better, even if it hurts a lot to keep forgetting things. Also, it’s best to keep using your flashcards over a longer amount of time rather than trying to cram everything into one day for your long term recall.

1 Like

Heck yeah, that’s why (at least in my classes) we still take physical notes with pen and paper. You remember better when you actually write something down. Whenever I’m in a rush to study on the way there, I use quizlet.com on my phone if I absolutely need to.
It may seem painstaking to some, but if you can’t memorize something at all, start writing it down repeatedly until you can say it without looking. It helps more than typing.

2 Likes

Write them in point form. Don’t include too much information in one flashcard.

1 Like

This is actually a really good idea.

Hey @HomeworkHelp I don’t if this will be of importance to any of you especially when studying so I decided to tag you guys.
It can be helpful though.

People always said to make them colourful but that never helped me and I always hated people trying to assume everyone absorbs information in the same way, I liked writing in black ink and only black ink so when people told me to switch things up I was like lolno

So if you want to make good flashcards? Do what works for you.

Added a tag

Closed due to inactivity