How to Make Your Characters Likeable

Even if you want them hated, they still have to be liked to some extent by the reader. (wink) Have a read of the blog to see what I mean.

1 Like

oh i thought we were talking about roleplaysā€¦
iā€™m going back to making peppy evil~

2 Likes

Iā€™m talking about characters in all forms of writing.

1 Like

First of all, thanks for the blog, I find it useful! I strongly agree with all the points, especially growth. Imo, itā€™s best to write a character (especially the main character) learn something for his/her quest. The character at the beginning shouldnā€™t be the same as the end of the story. I do want to point out that self-aware shouldnā€™t be overused, as it will irrate the readers. Great tactic to use a flawed character likeable.

1 Like

When it comes to making my own characters likeableā€¦ Itā€™s certainly a challenge.
I think this blog reminded me that the characters in my story still need a bit of development :rofl: The main villains - one of them has a motive, but the other one still kinda needs one lol. My main character is quite self aware, although in terms of having them improve themselves - itā€™s quite tricky XD

Personally, I rlly rlly love self aware characters, but only to a point. Maybe they understand these traits about themselves, and think about them often, but itā€™s also really cool when theyā€™re acting a certain way (especially for negative traits) but have no idea why. Then they find out later in the story, which adds another layer to it if that makes sense.

2 Likes

:grinning: ā€¦wut?

Iā€™ve realised that whenever I make a new character in an RP, (I think this blog can be helpful for making RP characters as well) I donā€™t put too much effort into them. Like, I want them to be realistic but Iā€™m just so lazy, I give up and just make them whatever. Theyā€™re just characters in an RP set in a fictional world, they donā€™t need to be realistic! Pfft- (Iā€™m being sarcastic) I think itā€™s time I revamped them :grimacing:

1 Like

I should do this soonā€¦

1 Like

I think itā€™s about making realistic characters honestly. The more characters seem like actually people, with all their little quirks and such, the more Iā€™ll like them.

But that doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t make like a fantasy character with magical powersā€¦ they can still be realistic!

Sometimes I see interesting people IRL that I wonder about. Like there was this guy at the bus stop wearing a big brown trench coat (like kinda old fashioned too), a briefcase, and a brown fedora and Iā€™m like, ā€œlook at that cool dude!ā€ And Iā€™m trying not to stare but also look more at him because he seems really interesting!

Like in that case, heā€™s real, heā€™s interesting, and heā€™s also going about his normal life like everyone else. I donā€™t like characters that are more special than othersā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, often relatable characters is the key!