How to Make Your Characters Likeable

This is not just how to make your character likeable but actually enjoyable to read, which is the main thing.

How easy do you find it? Did this blog help you?

16 Likes

This post was extremely useful to me as Shannii was writing it in bed next to me while I was stressing about a chapter of my story. She read a couple of parts out loud and I was like ‘Oh! Right, of course!’

4 Likes

Aww, this is sooo cute. So you were sort of the first person she helped then?

1 Like

I was there when she started the website :3

2 Likes

Hence why you are the first she helped! (wink)

2 Likes

This is a good and reliable blog post since I do want to ensure that the character my reader will be following the story of is actually a likable character otherwise I fear making the reader severly hate the story :joy: there have been stories I read where I just think damn I really hate this character and they never face any consequences for their actions nor do they have any redeemable qualities so I just left the story feeling angry :joy:

3 Likes

If there’s something that I really do care about when writing a character is making them sort of likeable.
Not perfect, but I do want readers or other characters to relate to the character and to be fond of them.
Also If I don’t like my character I won’t like writing it, and there’s not much of a reason I’d like them and someone else won’t.
This blog post is actually very helpful, especially after I was having a hard time writing a new character earlier.

2 Likes

*cough * ivy

I have some that aren’t
I can’t make them all likeable shoot me

ivy is like inhumanely wicked tho XD

True

Ah, characters are really important to me in stories :heart_eyes:

I love how popular Loki became. He’s really a likable villain. I find most characters likable except from annoying ones. I can’t stand Clarke in the 100. :joy:

Okay, unlikable characters are fine as long as they are good characters and don’t annoy me every second they’re in a scene. :laughing:

Yeah, give them flaws. :smiling_imp: You want the characters to be realistic and nobody’s perfect. Maybe some people seem perfect to the outside world but everyone has their own struggles. So sure, maybe a side character with very little page time only seen from the MC’s point of view can be written as flawless but yeah, f l a w s.

I agree with that backstories are great if introduced at the right time. The important thing is that you know your characters backstory and can write them consistently accordingly. Maybe some details never get exposed.

I agree with the selfawareness to some extent. It’s good that the characters know that they’re flawed and some flaws are apparent and they can pinpoint them. However, I feel like in real life some people struggle to understand their own flaws and other people in their surrounding too.

Yes, I want to shake lots of people by their shoulder and tell them to do something. I don’t think it’s good for their mental health though :joy:

Yeah… they have to care about someone or something. Even villains who don’t care for anyone have their own agenda and care about something. Else they wouldn’t do the evil stuff they do. I mean, it’s debatable whether Thanos loved Gamora (sure he cared about her a bit) but he cared more about his cause. Well, he cared for everyone although his caring wasn’t on a personal level which the avengers do a lot. I mean, for them a life of a friend is more important than the rest of humanity because they don’t sacrifice friends for the greater good. If a character doesn’t care about anything they would be rather apathetic and not have any motives for anything.

Okay, very interesting article! I’ll take a break now because I read so slowly :laughing:

4 Likes

YES, flaws!

WOAH! So much, what a great reply, syster.

1 Like

YAY

Hahaha :laughing: I like fictional characters too much :rofl:

1 Like

It’s worth pointing out that some characters should be unlikeable.

Just adding tags

1 Like

I sometimes feel like a very weird reader when it comes to liking characters :joy: So that makes it a bit difficult for me to write characters that others find likeable. While I don’t really like characters with flaws, even though they are totally normal and realistic, I know many others prefer characters that feel real and are more likely to bond with characters that aren’t perfect.
But I can only agree with the rest of the tips! For example, having a character care about someone just makes them so much more likeable to me as a reader and as a writer!

2 Likes

This is definitely crucial to writing a story. As a reader, if I feel disconnected with the main character/some of the supporting characters, I will likely stop reading. Making your characters likeable is important to keep the reader wanting to read the story. The goal is to get the reader to root for a character’s success. The thing with conventional cliche characters is that they’re overused so many times that readers are bored of reading about them.

2 Likes

Hey @Bloggers, this is a great blog to teach you how to make a character readers want to read, not just a “nice” character. It might even help @RPers & @Writers!
Take a read of this and tell me what you think!

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (it’s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

1 Like

NO I WANNA MAKE THEM BE HATED >:) (jk)

1 Like