How to write a good crime story?

So, since this week’s theme is Crime and Punishment, let’s talk about how to write a good crime story!

Actually, I’m pretty bad at writing them :see_no_evil: I’ve only written one once and it didn’t turn out good at all. So, I could really use some tips from people who write or read crime stories :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I dont know how to write them properly too :sob::sob: i once tried to write one but gave up because i wanted to potray everything right but was unmotivated and didnt knew where to start-
So if anybody has some advice tag meeee smm

1 Like

small clues, things you think well that aren’t important, and then bang it matters a lot.

example, blue paing, well the vitam have blue nails, later figure out its not nail paint its this specific brand of wallpaint,

1 Like

Ooh writing a crime story involves a lot of intesive researches. You have to make sure the information inside your story is informative and realistic, but you also have to make sure you don’t teach people how to commit them-

I haven’t written them before, but I tried but I always mix them with many mysteries so I’m gonna say that too. I believe crime fiction is a subcategory of mystery, right? :thinking: you also have to have a lot of planning or at least a raw idea/outline of story. It’s easy to have loopholes and getting stuck when writing them.

2 Likes

I love crime stories.
I think these really have to be planned out. I personally wouldn’t be able to just wing one. I’m actually writing two right now for other apps. (One the MC is actually a detective, in the other she’s just sort of unofficially recruited to “help” an investigation because of her job.)
I think pacing is really important too because you obviously need to keep the reader guessing but you still need to drop clues and hints along the way.

1 Like

@Writers Does anyone have any more tips on writing a good crime story? Or something a writer should really avoid when writing one?

Closed due to inactivity