How to write when you have nothing on your mind

Does this ever happen to you?
Sometimes, I have those moments where:
A. I’m too burned out or exhausted to write
B. I just can’t connect with my characters
C. I can’t figure out how to resolve a scene nor wrap it up correctly

This is what I usually do.

1. Take a break and come back to it later.
  2. Change scenery. Try to write in a different place and at a different time
  3. Listen to music
  4. Ask a friend or family member for their advice on what to do with that particular scene

Got any tips or experiences you want to share with us?
@Writers

7 Likes

This is a good one. I try to do this a lot of the time.

A. I’m too burned out or exhausted to write

• This is when I ramble and goof with my online friends and whine about my ailments.

B. I just can’t connect with my characters

• This is a dangerous feeling. I actually have to think hard to remember what the catalyst was that made me reconnect to the character…Let me see:

8:56pm talking with friend: I think I got disconnected from Momo at some point as I was writing and I’m trying to pinpoint where it happened.
11:09pm talking with friend: I fixed the Momo disconnect and now he’s literally…

• I remember now! I just went back and re-read certain parts and thought of what was important to the character Momo and how he would feel and react to certain things at that particular moment in time. But, see? Somewhere within 2 hours I got out of the slump.

C. I can’t figure out how to resolve a scene nor wrap it up correctly

• I usually talk to friends here, too. Just the other day, I was brainstorming while chatting with @Rainbow about certain details of a story.
1 Like

But what if you have actually nothing on your mind? Like severe writing block where you are clueless on what to write?

1 Like

I had an experience like that at the beginning of the year, and for a few months, I didn’t write. In this case, I’d say either don’t force it, or try to read or watch something that might inspire you.

1 Like

thanks

1 Like

You have to let your mind be open to inspiration as you do other things…playing games, reading, watching shows…you never know when the smallest detail or event sparks your thoughts into a solution. Just remember not to write a carbon copy of what you see. Just write something in a similar spirit.

3 Likes

Just adding a few tags

Just don’t. I personally get very irritated if I want to write but have nothing on my mind. Go do something else and when you get ideas then write

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity