How To: Writing Character Development

Yes, I stole this from my old thread on the EF lol, but I tweaked it a little bit.

Obviously we know what character development is – developing your character. I’m going to be talking about the two ways to do this: Narration and dialogue.
This is crucial in making a good story. It’s the key to developing the attachment between your audience and your actors.
If you don’t have character development, you don’t have a character. You just have a walking statue.

Narration!

I’m going to be honest, I personally would not choose to focus my character development through narration. It can be stale and more of the lazy way to show the personality. Narrating your character development will more likely bore your readers.
However, it doesn’t mean it’s all bad; It depends on how you use your narration.

If you’re going to flat-out explain to me the interests, personality traits, and relationships that the character has in the beginning of the episode – don’t even bother writing a story. Just kidding! (but it’s a terrible and lazy way)
I’m going to forget all of that information because there is not enough emotional impact for me to find it memorable.
I am not going to keep a tab of you explaining the relationship between your uncle’s cousin’s sister’s brother’s broski and his girlfriend, that somehow affects you to the point where you have to cover your eyes while eating at every table.

When you’re reading a really, really good book, have you ever read the first chapter where the author is explaining every single relationship and personality trait that the MC has? NO! You know why? Because you know d*mn well you’re going to put that book down by the time you finish the first paragraph.

However, there are some better ways to use narration.

Each character has a distinct personality that makes them different. The way they react to situations shows who they are.
You can use your narration describe the emotions of certain characters.

Here’s a bad example of narration:

NARR
Hi.
My name is sherry and I am [age] years old!
I like to beat up plants when I’m bored, and water my windows when I like to be productive
I love fashion!!!

No.

Sometimes you forget names. Just like this – I’m going to forget everything.

Here’s a better example of how you can use narration in your character development:

NARR
The instant I looked at his eyes, the growing fear and shame began to consume my mind.
I wanted to run, but my knees were completely solid – so I stood there.
My hands began trembling like mini earthquakes, and my chest grew heavier, and heavier. At this point, I don’t even think I can breathe.
I couldn’t hear anything other than the loud heartbeat coming from my chest.
The embarrassment from this moment will forever be engraved into my mind.

You can imply that this person is probably having some form on anxiety attack (could be anything) from the overwhelming embarrassment. You can tell by the way she’s describing her breathing, her shaking, her paralyzed knees, etc.
From that information, you can tell that this person doesn’t handle situations like this well. This person might not be the one to hang out in big crowds because big crowds means better chances of embarrassing themselves.

You can also narrate their actions. How they choose to react to a scene explains the kind of person they are. If you narrate a scene of a character how reacts violently on impulse, the audience can imply that this character is immature and doesn’t know how to control their emotions. If you narrate a scene of a character who becomes the bigger person in a tense scene, it shows maturity.

The way people react to certain scenarios is the explanation to your audience.

Dialogue!

Think of your favorite character in a show or movie. Why do you love them?
Now think of a character you absolutely hate. Why do you hate them? Is it because of their actions? The way they speak? How they talk to other people? How they handle situations? How they use their words?

You can show so much through dialogue.

Here’s an example of how you can show it:

SHERRY (animation)
You’re telling me that snooping through my phone is okay? No, it’s not!
You don’t respect my privacy!
If you trusted me in the first place, you wouldn’t need to look through anything!

You can tell that Sherry doesn’t like it when people snoop through her stuff. She probably is a firm believer in trust. Could it be a relationship? It sounds like it because that’s what couples sometimes argue about. Maybe she strongly believes in respect from the way she spoke about trust. Maybe she feels hurt because this person doesn’t trust her. She sounds angry, and was willing to speak up about it. Maybe she’s one to voice her thoughts.

See how much I picked out from that dialogue?
See how it isn’t a boring explanation?
See how I was able to imply her personality from those lines?

Hope this helps!

@Helpers
@Advisers

7 Likes

Writing characters is really weird. Sometimes I want to go a certain way and then I notice that the characters are just writing themselves and I’m just like, “No… no no no…”

1 Like

mood

2 Likes

But also, sometimes I’m writing characters and then I’m like, “Wait I actually hate them” then have to scrap the whole story because of it…

i’ve never had an experience where i scrapped a whole story because i didn’t like a character, but when i’m trying to write a character, i try to think of how their personality will contribute to the plot so that i don’t end up making a character that i don’t like – if this helps at all :thinking:

1 Like

I try to do that as well but for the most part when I get an idea I just go into it and the thinking comes while I’m writing or later… but usually there is a short brainstorming period before.
But idk, usually when I’m writing I do think about that and think in depth about the character but they just don’t really come out right.
I did have one experience where I just had to stop the entire story because the characters- all of them, were so bad and I just couldn’t write it anymore. It felt like I had a roadblock, and instead of pushing away I just kept pushing forwards with it just hanging out there.

That must’ve been frustrating

1 Like

Yeah… especially since it was my longest story. But I think the mistake came from me just coming back to the story years later and having different ideas than I originally started with… so I kept changing my mind while I was writing and that’s hard to deal with.
But I think this happens more so with Episode because you have to deal with all the visual things and stuff like that. At least for me.

yeah, when it came to writing episode stories, i do find myself changing my mind a lot more

1 Like

Omg i remember that thread it was sm helpfulllll this is sm helpful too thenk

1 Like

thank Oh, so you’re an official creep now? Wow, learn some PRIVACY for once sm rn. It’s not that hard. … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks…

Yeah…

1 Like

This is so helpfulll :star_struck: i don’t even write but yes

Yes

1 Like

Bumpity! Hope this helps anyone (~ ̄³ ̄)~ I’d tag writers but somehow whenever i do i can’t T-T

Bookmarking!!

: D

Character development is strange. And honestly, I do struggle with it, I’m good at writing characters, but developing them is slightly harder. I’m working on it, though.

A tip of mine: try using a small group of central/main characters.

Closed due to inactivity