How well is tradional Japanese culture represented in anime/manga?

I think anime and manga do portray Japanese culture pretty well to an extent. Now, most shows are fantasy based so they can be harder to connect but when you get shows like Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul, and others like that you get an idea of what Japan is like. Since I have been to Japan, I can say this. There is certain things that I think would not be completely accurate which is some technology set backs. I noticed this more in Okinawa than main land Japan. Though they were strange set backs not bad setbacks. It’s hard to explain this. Yes, there is vending machines all over the place in Okinawa so that is actually portrayed correctly. They are pretty cool too. It really depends on which anime and manga you watch in order to get an idea of what Japan is like.

Do you think that manga and anime portray Japanese traditional culture accurately? If yes, then what were the parts that stood out the most? If no, then why do you feel about it in this way?

@AnimeNerds

2 Likes

I mean anime is Japanese and the creators are Japanese so probably

1 Like

That is true but there are some anime and manga out there that do not portray the culture correctly but that is because they have been changed to cater to certain audiences. Also, not all manga comes from Japan nowadays.

1 Like

I mean anime is Japanese produced animations so… pretty well lmao. But they can also exaggerate it. And on the flip side, tone it down. I’m just saying, most animes are based of of f*cking Japan, you can literally take most backgrounds and cities drawn in anime and find it as a real life place in the real world… located in…Japan.

1 Like

Agreed

I do want to say that not all anime is Japanese, if you’re going along the lines of it only being anime if it’s produced in Japan then that excludes all the anime produced in Korea like the later seasons of Seven Deadly Sins (Studio Deen is Japanese but SDS was outsourced). Western anime also exists too just saying. Most people don’t actually check where things are produced, there’s so much more to anime than where it was made.

However, in terms of anime I wanna say that not every anime represents traditional Japanese culture whether it is from Japan or not, settings are different etc a lot of the time the references are subtle and easily missed. But sometimes it’s a lot more obvious!

1 Like

Thank you! This is exactly what I was getting at in earlier posts!

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity