In your head or on paper?

So in school, we typically have to show our work on tests, which aggravates some people because they can solve even the most complex algebra equations or science questions in their head, or anything that requires work shown for the answer. But there is some people in school who need that. They need to work it out on paper. It’s easier for their brain or organizes things better.

Which person are you? Do you typically work in your head of on paper/ with your hands or both? Why is it that way for you?

I don’t need help on work but I’ll tag @HomeworkHelp to see what these people do to figure out solutions.

4 Likes

For pretty much anything, I can work it out in my head. I can somehow understand and “organize” the scatterness of my brain.

I usually do most of the math in my head, like the problem solving or some of the equations, but for stuff like multiplying or division I have to write it down.

If you wanted to change that, maybe learning multiplication over again and remembering can help. :thinking: And to mix it up or make it fun, you could always just move to multiplication of 2 digit and 3 digit numbers and try and memorize the algorithms and solutions for those.

1 Like

I meant like 24 x 9 kind of multiplication :joy:

Yee, just learn more ways to do it that give you leverage and allow you to do it in your head. Tbh when it comes to that and solving it in my head, I just imagine the new numbers forming and keep it mentally written down. Idk if that makes sense lmao.

On paper, I’m horrible at mental math-

I’m jealous how all of you can do maths in your head :’)) so when it’s anything math, I need a paper

1 Like

I can’t do Math without paper, especially complex stuff which involve differential and integral calculus.

Our teacher also said that it’s better to solve it on paper and make no mistakes in lesser time rather than solving it in your head with the risk of messing it up even more.

2 Likes

On paper omg i just cant in my mind

1 Like

I kind of do a mixture of both. For instance, I have a math deficiency which makes it hard for me to keep up with the different math equations. So, if I’m studying Algebra I can’t focus on Geometry at the same time. Sometimes I can do the math in my head but other times I have to count it out with my hands, paper, and/or calculator. This is why I never did well on the final exam of the year when it came to the math exam. Like most people, might think it’s weird for me to get excited about passing a math class in college but they don’t get that is a major accomplishment for me in general.

Ughhh tell me about it :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::raised_hands:

1 Like

Well… I never understood anything so I’d let my friend do it for me (talking about math) :sweat_smile:
But sometimes, when I tried to do some simple things, I’d do in on a desk ahaha just because they never gave us extra papers :pleading_face:

I really can’t say much here because I always had an F lol
And like… this is so dumb but I can’t count without my fingers…

1 Like

even on paper i forget where i am and why im doing what im doing

2 Likes

Paper. I CAN’T DO MENTAL MATH

Paper.

My head. I tend to make more mistakes on paper because my attention span is too short. But if I do maths in my head, it’s occupied with the numbers, so I don’t get distracted that easily. It also reduces the risk of making a mistake while writing down the next step :eyes::sparkles:

1 Like

Paper… 100% need the paper XD.
Also we need to show our work in math because then if our teacher sees our process and especially if we got it wrong they can see where we went wrong and point that out to us. So yeah, I’m a fan of showing your work.

I’m studying for SATs/ACTs- those types of tests and we were doing basic math- plotting numbers on a graph and I straight up forgot how to do it XD. My memory is terrible! Like, I’m good at math when I’m currently learning something in the class but outside of that, if I try anything from before - unless we’re using older techniques in the lesson or something it just doesn’t go into my head.

My shown work is typically me just writing down everything I already solved in my head, so I always do math questions twice. Lol.