Insomnia is contagious(Not really. I don’t think...)

My friend mentioned they have insomnia, and now…it’s 2:11am. Good thing I don’t have anything to do today. Oh well. Sleep is for the weak.

1 Like

Ok, it’s not actually contagious, I was just making a joke because a friend of mine was telling me about their insomnia, then I ended up sleeping at 3am, so it would seem to be contagious, right? I don’t think so.

1 Like

Also, they’re not my friend. They scare me, and that’s honestly saying something.

Insomnia comes from your brain not getting enough melatonin which is the natural chemical in your brain that promotes sleep. I’m a long-term insomniac coming up on 10-12 years now. In truth, the reason you can’t sleep is because your brain is being over stimulated by other things around you. For instance, there is blue light syndrome that many people suffer from. Blue light syndrome is the light that comes off of your electronics such as laptops, phones, and many other items with a LCD screen. This is another reason why they say to not leave your tv on in your room at night

Another reason your brain can’t shut down is because you haven’t wind down properly. Just because your body might be ready for sleep doesn’t mean your mind is ready for it. Something that I’m bad about is drinking caffeinated drinks all day. Though I’ve become immune to the major effects of caffeine due to drinking so much of it. It doesn’t actually keep me up any more. There is a study that says certain lights can help you sleep at night. Yes, nightlights a necessary sometimes when it comes to tricking your brain to go to sleep. I’ll post the article below. Red lights will actually help you go to sleep at night.

Now, there is a few ways you can stave off insomnia which can be done with vitamins that promote sleep, medicine that you can be prescribed, over the counter medicine that you can regularly buy, and setting up a routine to help you get to sleep. It takes 14 days to get use to a routine but up to 2 months to keep that routine in place. Also, don’t eat past a certain time at night otherwise it will keep you up. This is the hardest one to follow usually. Younger people can break the insomnia cycle much easier than a grown adult but you also have to dedicate to a routine so that you can sleep.

Note, this can apply to whatever sleep schedule you go by even if you work overnight. ou just have to figure out when your proverbial “4pm” and *“8pm” times are for your life. Now, they do say that you should sleep between 12-3am because that is the natural time for your body to heal but that’s not always possible so in order to combatant that issue is to make sure you take multi-vitamins during your main time of being awake. You can take at night so that you have them in your system when you wake up as well but eat sometime bland with it if you go that route. Never take medicine on an empty stomach it will make you sicker than a dog!

Natural Way to promote Sleep:

• Red night light
  • No Caffiene past 4pm
  • No snacking past 8pm
  • Taking the vitamin melatonin (preferably every other day)
  • Drinking on teas that promote sleep will be good

Prescription By Doctor Path:

• Go to your doctor about problems with sleeping
  • If the non medical suggestions they give you don’t work then it’s time to switch to sleeping pills
  • Follow what your doctor says that is the only advice I can give you since each person is different
  • Keep up with your appointments

Over the Counter Path:

• Benadryl generic or normal brand will be good as long as it has diphenhydramine in it
  • I suggest Tylenol PM, Advil PM if you have pain at night, it does not have to brand name ones either
  • Nyquil, Zzquil, and any other liquid sleep aid will help as well
  • Melatonin can be put into this category as well

http://lightschannel.com/what-color-light-makes-you-sleepy-understanding-lights/#:~:text=Lights%20That%20Help%20Promote%20Sleep,-Now%20that%20you&text=When%20using%20a%20nightlight%2C%20the,can%20have%20the%20opposite%20effect.

@Discussions if you would like to read more on health threads then please join the health tag below to keep updated when threads like these are bumped or made.
@Health

2 Likes

Holy-wow. Yeah, I definitely have insomnia. It’s 2:00am.

1 Like

I actually have a red light on now, and just took a melatonin.

1 Like

Lol I’ve been dealing with mine for so long now that I’ve tried about everything. It’s possible to get insomnia from staying up too late. For me, it came from staying up too late playing games, drinking drinks that kept me up, and working the night shift at work instead. I just now getting back into be able to do an 10-11am beginning time for shifts since I first started at Kroger. Mine gradually got worse over the past 7 years.

That’s good, I’m about to take my meds as well. I’ve been meaning to get a red light for my room. That is something new I learned in the last couple of years.

1 Like

The light I have is able to change color, I just have it on red setting because I like it.

1 Like

I would keep on that setting since it will help you out.

1 Like

Ok. Honestly, I would’ve thought blue would help. Why red?

1 Like

I would of thought so too. I think red helps the melatonin reactivate in your brain. It’s like when laying in a dark comfy room your body will rest. The light is a low ambient color that your brain accepts in a sense.

1 Like

I see. I drank milk too.

1 Like

That helps as well. If you drink anything warm it will also help you relax more in order to go to sleep. I use light blocking curtains in order to sleep. I’m close to falling asleep soon.

Insomnia really isn’t contagious, but it feels kinda like it can be, at least among RPers :joy:

1 Like

Well, yeah. I was joking.

Oof I know this is a joke but if insomnia was contagious it would mean it could go away as well. That would be a blessing but sadly not the case. Insomnia can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. You might not even notice it happening when you start showing symptoms of chronic insomnia. There are big factors that can help cut down on losing hours of the night. Trust me, It’s hard to cut yourself away from some of these.

1. Blue Screen Effect - Most screens have LED screens now which gives off the blue screen effect. This is where the light from your computer gives off a bright light which blocks your ability to go to bed. The best thing to do is cut down screen time about 3 hours before bedtime. Note, your cellphone still gives off the blue screen effect but it’s not as bad though there is an exception which I’ll talk about at a later point.

2. Drinking Caffeine at Night - This is a hard one if you drink a lot of caffeine. I still do not follow this one as much either. The best time to stop drinking caffeinated drinks is about 5 pm. If this is hard for you to do there is always the non-caffeinated version of your favorite drink. Try that out at night instead of the caffeinated version.

3. Take Sleep Aid at 1-2 hours before Bedtime - You need to give the medicine time to kick in but you should still take it about an hour or two hours before. That gives you enough time to get settled for bed. This also goes for your prescription medicine. Most of mine can be taken at night so I tend to take it all together at once. Try to sync up the medicine times which will make it easier for you to remember.

4. Wear your Mind Down - This counteracts the blue screen effect just a smidge though. I would suggest playing an app before you go to bed. This can help you start getting tired. It’s similar to reading an actual book at night as most do though just on your phone.

@Discussions

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity