International Womens Day 2022

There’s a recent line of thinking I’ve been having…

So there are many women out there whose first priority is to have kids. When I was younger, I kind of thought that would be me. It was never pushed on me or anything tho.

But now I’m coming to understand that I’m a passionate, creative career driven person. When I think of wanting to be a teacher, “career driven” is not the first thing that comes to mind. Many female teachers are parents and although I’d be interested in having kids one day, I’d want to be able to put my career first.

I think that teachers are not taken seriously and as a good/serious career. In the world of misogyny, it’s one of those careers women are allowed to have because they’re watching kids.
So to not want kids and be a teacher is like something I’ve only seen once. And it made me realize im similar.

I don’t want my teaching career to come second to anything, it’s my one priority right now. Even tho im not even a teacher yet, it’s my dream and I won’t let anything get in the way of that.

I’ve never seen anyone say passionately, at least IRL, that they’ve always wanted to be a teacher and would do anything to get there and be successful. Idk the whole thing around it is strange.

The expectations and perceptions around teachers really need to change…

Also I can see I was being lenient before but I actually want to get a point across here.

Whenever there’s a conversation abour womens rights or international womens day, someone somewhere will always say “but what about men?” Or “what about mens day?”

this was womens day jeez, if you truly advocate for change in the way men are treated then valid, they also face problems that are fueled by the existence of the patriarchy but if in a space talking about an international day for women you start bringing up the international day for men then I think this reflects an ongoing issue we have of people ignoring intersectionality.

Intersectionality is the theory that all issues every minority faces can be linked together and intersect if you say women are facing problems you are not saying “men don’t” but they certainly don’t face the same issues as women, they can just all be linked back to the social issues around gender and the patriarchy itself. Please don’t pay vague lip service to the concept of men having problems as a means of detracting from the issues women are facing and the awareness surrounding that.

If you actually care about men and their problems, make a thread. When it comes to their day, make a thread for that too. Advocate to solve their problems all you want, but don’t go into a space talking about the issues women face and make it about men as if to imply there’s a competition there or that men are being ignored entirely, because while men being ignored is an issue, a big one, that is leading to issues, right now in America women’s very bodily rights are being called under scrutiny.

I know which one I would rather talk about personally, but this doesn’t mean I’m ignoring any issues men are facing.