Is a person determined by their nature or how they was nurtured?

Is a person determined by their nature or how they was nurtured?

With that said, " Nature is what we think of as pre-wiring and is influenced by genetic inheritance and other biological factors. Nurture is generally taken as the influence of external factors after conception, e.g., the product of exposure, life experiences and learning on an individual."

Do you think a person is again, determined by nature or nurture?

To me, honestly it really depends on the person, family, environment and stage of life that person is. It really canā€™t be boiled down to one answer or another unless you knew about everything.

What do you think @Discussions?

3 Likes

Also, @Debaters might want to discuss this one too!

My parents ā€˜nurturedā€™ me to be terrified of all authority and everyone who is able to stand up for themselves, including fictional characters, if that counts :grinning:
They also ā€˜nurturedā€™ me so that I knew nothing about the world, and didnā€™t understand that the relationships I was in were toxic and unhealthy

so yea it has a pretty big impact :joy:

Nurture

Well mostly, everyone kinda has an essence

idkā€¦i think how they grow up could determine who they r as a person

Ha, should I get my psychology teacher in here, he loves to have this discussion.

I still go with both because enough research has proven it

Iā€™m reading a great book about this. Thereā€™s this thing called Determinism and itā€™s the belief that humans have no free will and that their actions and stuff is determined by the ā€œlaws of natureā€. The author of the book completely destroys this by making a character who is messed up for one. It addresses how for example, by this theory of Determinism if you get punched, the person who punched you did it because of the ā€œlaws of natureā€ so you canā€™t forgive them for it or go after them for revenge. The character applies this logic to everything, essentially leaving him in a mental paralysis. Which he both loves and hates at the same time. Itā€™s interesting and unnerving. He believes in determinism so much and is also highly intelligent to be ignorant to ignore it, so he has trapped himself.

So anyway, I believe in nurture lol. I donā€™t think we as people are pre-determined. I think that we do have free will and stuff and choice to choose.

Closed due to inactivity