Is Elsa Really Gay? Why Should it Matter?!

True!

5 Likes

And Elsa had so much going on in the movie, a evil prince was trying to take over, her sister was going to marry a guy she didn’t even know, her sister almost died, her parents died, she had to stop being queen and her kingdom was against her for while and she was isolated with no one to understand her but herself.

Does it sound like she had time to even think about love?

6 Likes

Facts! Elsa’s an independent women and there’s nothing wrong with that

5 Likes

Elsa and Merida have this same thing in common, but did anyone assume Merida’s sexuality? No. I think this was because Merida showed off her independence and spoke out about while Disney just made Elsa’s independence a hint and a minor thing about her.

6 Likes

Moana didn’t have a love interest either :woman_shrugging:t4: Although, she was pretty young

5 Likes

But yea, you’re right!

4 Likes

People lowkey shipped her with Maui :joy:

5 Likes

I’m one of those ppl :no_mouth:

I ship their personalities together, but Maui is much older than her, so that would be weird-

5 Likes

It doesn’t matter if Elsa is gay…why do people care?

4 Likes

…I just took it as a Disney movie for kids-

3 Likes

Exactly…

3 Likes

People care because representation for the community within the media is scarce and often plays into stereotypes, so a gay princess would’ve been a huge step forward. It’s people looking for someone they can relate to.

4 Likes

This is an incredibly interesting blog post about metaphors in stories and specifically how that relates to Frozen! It really does allow for her story to apply to more people if they leave it ambiguous, which is definitely not an inherently bad thing. What I really love more about this story is that she really isn’t defined by a romantic relationship, which is such a change of pace. I think that if she were gay, it would make her resonate even further with the lesbian community, but it’s entirely unnecessary. What is really necessary is for better representation overall so that all kinds of different stories can ultimately be told.

1 Like

This was a really interesting take, I never thought about it like this before. I heard about Elsa being gay and was like “well that’d be cool” but I didn’t hear about the metaphor of Let it Go. That’s a really cool way to interpret the song, actually, and yeah, I can see where they would be coming from.

I think it’s cool to think of Elsa as ace, or just someone who doesn’t need a partner. There aren’t many of those characters in Disney, so it’s always nice to have more. It reinforces the idea that you don’t need a man to be happy, or to save the day for that matter. Sometimes, your family is enough.

6 Likes

Same! I does ship everyone with everyone as long as no one says their sexuality or anything… like for me I dont really care about movie/cartoon characters sexuality unless it has been stated or is relevant to the plot.

1 Like

What is a… Elsa?

2 Likes

HAHAHAHA. From the Disney film, Frozen.

2 Likes

@Bloggers, this blog post is about the Disney film, Frozen. What are your thoughts behind it being a metaphor for homosexuality?

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (it’s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

3 Likes

I think it does matter. Disney’s idea of representation is a nameless cyclops in the background of the most boring modern Pixar movie, so can you imagine how groundbreaking and important it would be if they decided to reveal that their biggest character was lesbian or bi? Not to mention that lesbians are given much less representation in media than gay men are, especially lesbians who are feminine. Plus, it can show plenty of kids who are questioning their sexuality, like I was when I first saw Frozen, that they’re not alone and help them become comfortable in their own skin.

I know that Disney won’t be brave enough to make an important character anything but straight and cis for the next 8 million years, but I still like to pretend that Elsa really is gay sometimes. It’s better representation than anything they’ve ever actually given us

5 Likes

I think this is one of my favorite blog posts but I didn’t find a little error.

Summary

it seems as though something went wrong with the programming or a photo export went wrong?

Honestly, it does matter. I understand that some think it’s a metaphor, which it totally could be interpreted as, but I think there’s all too many giving Disney credit for making a lesbian character, even though they haven’t explicitly said anything on the matter. Maybe Disney just meant that she had ice powers… and that was it. There was no symbolism. It was just that.

Of course, no one would like to think that. It’s sad and takes away most of the fun in the movie. My point is that everyone just assumed Elsa was a lesbian based on her lack of a love interest. It would have been seen differently if Anna didn’t have TWO love interests. The movie is about love, right? So why does Anna have two different people that she finds romance with whereas Elsa only has no one? It’s always nice to have a heroine that doesn’t need a man, but when there’s not a single person interested in being with Elsa and there’s two interested in her sister… it raises some questions.

5 Likes