Is graffiti a crime that should be punished?

This is something I’m really curious about! Do you think graffiti is a crime that should be punished?

I’m going to be completely honest and say that I never fully understood why that’s something people get punished for. I do agree with it when it comes to some important buildings or similar things, that really isn’t something you should do but other than that… why? :pleading_face: I love graffiti.

@/Artists

5 Likes

Graffiti? NO!

Tagging? Yes. …But only 'cause it is ugly and ruins actual graffiti art.

3 Likes

I don’t know… I love it but I understand people who are upset because it’s done on their private property without their consent. So it probably still should be a misdemeanour when that’s the case.

4 Likes

I think it depends on what the motive behind it was. If someone just wanted to create something beautiful, no. If someone just made it to vandalize others’ property, then yes. :eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

I see what you mean, but I don’t think saying that you just wanted to create something beautiful would be enough to justify not getting a fine. It’s not because you want to create something beautiful that you can just paint all over someone else’s private property :joy_cat:

3 Likes

I guess you would have to ask the owners of the property for permission first then :eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

Yes, I agree !

2 Likes

The thing is art is subjective so where would you draw the line when it comes to allowing only a certain type of graffiti art to stay?

If it’s done on private property yes, it should.

Don’t get me wrong I love graffiti art myself as well, but that doesn’t mean it’s right to spraypaint over someones property. I mean if the owner of said wall or object isn’t happy with the artwork on the wall. They would have to scrub or paint over the whole thing which depending on the size of the work is quite a hassle.

Most of the “good” graffiti art you see online or on the streets is often done by either professionals and- or people that have gotten permission from the owner of the property.

source: I used to work at a graffiti store so I spoke with a lot of graffiti artists

3 Likes

Oh, I’m talking about the ones that are just a couple of lines that make up someone’s initials, purely to mark the spot to say it’s been “claimed”. They look like it took 10 seconds to quickly spray.

2 Likes

Graffiti should be punished when it’s put on property where you don’t have permission to paint over :thinking: technically, it’s vandalism and that’s a crime :eyes:

If it’s on someone’s property or private property, then yes. Some people don’t like your art on their walls and personally I wouldn’t like it if someone painted on my wall without consent.

Ifnit’s your own property you can do whatever you want. Bruh, leave people alone, they are not hurting you by painting on their walls.

@Discussions What do you think about graffiti? Is it a crime?

2 Likes

I don’t think graffiti should be, it’s art. Tagging, however, that is.

1 Like

I think it depends where. I’ve seen some beautiful art that war taken away that shouldn’t have because it decorated a boring location.
However they often do it on our trains and stuff as well and then when you’re inside you’re not able to look outside and then I think it should be. I think it should be encouraged to be done on the right spots.

1 Like

Many of our towns and cities have started dedicating spots for graffiti murals

1 Like

I don’t know here, I know one that is being used as a. Memorial for someone who had an accident. But that’s the only one I know that they keep.

1 Like

That’s cute.

1 Like

Hm… it depends on where the graffiti is and what is drawn.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity