Is marriage no longer necessary?

This is actually a little more tricky to think of than it may seem because in the situation I’m in, I can easily say no, it’s not necessary for me or for people like me.

However, there was once a time when laws really had an impact on having children outside of a marriage.

Obviously this would only affect you if you had a child outside of a marriage. But at the time many people did, they were all affected by these laws.

Obviously things aren’t like that anymore and as the question in the title is asking if marriage is no longer necessary I can say that, no, not in relation to these laws. I’m just bringing up some history in terms of it to answer the question of “was it ever necessary?”

I’m not entirely sure about different cultures and other countries so maybe you guys can answer the question too!

@Discussions
@Debaters

5 Likes

I feel like people have been less interested in it. I still dream about having a wedding and really love the something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue tradition.

I’ve always wished I had a wedding dress from my mom but she was pregnant from my brother so she didn’t have a dress (2 weeks later he was born so yeah big belly)

3 Likes

Depends on the person and what they believe. For me, I don’t believe so, but that’s me.

1 Like

As far as in the sense of society and everything, not necessarily, but to me personally, yes. I want to get married one day when I find the right person.

1 Like

I want to get married eventually. But more so for legal stuff. Like being able to share household things more and stuff like that. But that would happen after so many years of being together and then we’re like: oh, we should probably get married now.

I mean, for love reasons? Why? Like we can just do everything else in a normal relationship outside of that.

I think nothing is inherently necessary. That’s my nihilism talking though. And even survival wise, marriage isn’t either.

I’d say there’s a lot of marriage ideal when it comes to some religions like Christianity, as they see it as something vital within a relationship between two people. (People say man and woman but God doesn’t actually oppose homosexuality, it’s supposedly proved to be a a mistranslation, therefore I will not be using those terms.)

There is a lot of people especially older generations that have this stigma around it like whether you are married, divorced, getting married anytime, but it’s excessive. :man_shrugging:

Like I already said, it’s not necessary. Why would it be?

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity