Isi's book rec corner ♡

read-book-gif

If you go to Your current book you can see how much I’ve been reading recently and I felt like opening this thread. Why? I don’t know. I just felt like it? I was looking for a place where I could rant about those books and maybe get someone to read them and talk to me about them? We’ll go with that… So welcome to my little library (I’m super busy right now but I’ll get this going), hope you have a nice time with me and get ready for some good books I can’t stop thinking about :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
All spoilers will be blurred!

6 Likes

(you should start a book club! :heart_eyes:)

6 Likes

ohhh :smirk: I’ll see what I can do after my exams

4 Likes

oh wow i love this
even the gif is captivating :sparkles::brown_heart:

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Couldn’t imagine starting this with any other book… There’s not a book I could ever love more. This one had me sobbing on the floor at 2 am. I could talk about TSOA for days and cry every single time. 100/5

Main characters: Achilles and Patroclus
Plot (summary): Achilles, “the best of all the Greeks,” son of the cruel sea goddess Thetis and the legendary king Peleus, is strong, swift, and beautiful, irresistible to all who meet him. Patroclus is an awkward young prince, exiled from his homeland after an act of shocking violence. Brought together by chance, they forge an inseparable bond, despite risking the gods’ wrath.
They are trained by the centaur Chiron in the arts of war and medicine, but when word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped, all the heroes of Greece are called upon to lay siege to Troy in her name. Seduced by the promise of a glorious destiny, Achilles joins their cause, and torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus follows. Little do they know that the cruel Fates will test them both as never before and demand a terrible sacrifice.

My thoughts; more about their story: I am still heartbroken. Miller has created a masterpiece… A masterpiece. Okay, so, I read this book in two days just because I was scared of the ending, didn’t want the book to end and because I needed breaks from crying. YES. I NEEDED BREAKS FROM CRYING. Many times I couldn’t breathe while reading this because I was choking on my own tears. Not exaggerating. Where do I begin? I love romance. I love love. And this book really made me believe in soulmates. It was such a wholesome story between these boys that are exploring this love between them and… AH. It was late at night and I legit screamed when they kissed for the first time. CRYYYYY. This was also the first book I annotated and I just wanted to mark all scenes I love, all scenes that made me feel something, that made me cry, made me angry, warmed my heart… MY WHOLE BOOK IS TABBED. The first scene I want to mention - chapter 4; Achilles was sitting near Patroclus and they finally looked at each other… and Patroclus got all shy and wanted to be more careful but Achilles would always catch him looking ahbdksadaicnawnvciaowv… I think that’s the scene that got me hooked and it was hard to put the book down after it. CAN WE ALSO TALK ABOUT THE TIME Achilles had to go to Chiron and Patroclus ran after him??? Lost all hope but then Achilles showed up because HE WAS WAITING FOR PATROCLUS TO FOLLOW HIM!!! And can we please talk about Thetis because I couldn’t stand her at the begging… but that ending. That ending and what she said… I could write pages and pageees now but I don’t want to spoil much so just go and read this book… I promise you won’t regret it.

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 5.48.26 PM Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 5.48.33 PM Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 5.48.40 PM Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 5.49.23 PM Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 5.49.29 PM Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 5.49.51 PM

Quotes:

“I am made of memories.”

“I could recognize him by touch alone, by smell; I would know him blind, by the way his breaths came and his feet struck the earth. I would know him in death, at the end of the world.”

“He is half of my soul, as the poets say.”

7 Likes

I knew the whole story from the Iliad, so whenever Achilles said “What has Hector ever done to me?”, I was like :slightly_smiling_face:

And the ending with Thetis was beautiful! Though, I thought something like that was going to happen. I honestly loved the whole book, it was gorgeous and the way it was written… OMG! Ah, so beautiful! One of my favorite reads! I didn’t cry but I was very touched by it!

4 Likes

… that… hurt…

3 Likes

Awesome thread, will definitely put this on watching :eyes::purple_heart:

5 Likes

ME

OH MAH GOD THAT WAS SOOO LIKE ALSKDKDOSO

:pleading_face:
I thought Achilles hated him then too because of the whole kiss thing that happened right before, like I really thought Patroclus was about to be murdered or some shiii but NO ACHILLES WAS RIGHT THERE AND ALSKDKJDF

Omg I hated her all the way through :unamused: but my girl pulled through at the ending, and it was like, oh wow she actually does care about her son?? Like I thought she just wanted him to be this murderous hero but she’s still his mom and it was so SWEET
Speaking of the ending I REALLY THOUGHT Patroclus and Achilles were gonna be separated forever :pleading_face: because of STUPID PYRRUS, omg I hate him—like it was your father’s last wish the hell. But omg the last quote ugh I just returned my copy to the library yesterday cause it was way overdue but UGH I LOVED YHAT QUOTE, about like a burst of light when their hands touched :sob::sob::sob:

Other thoughts:

When Patroclus DIED OMG BROKE MY HEART. AND THEN ACHILLES REACTED LIKE THAT AND I WAS
:pleading_face::pleading_face:But I was also hella p!ssed with Achilles cause like Brieses (is that how you spell idk) said he couldn’t fight!!! You shouldn’t have let him go omg. Brieses was my girl tho I loved her loved her all the way through and when she yelled at Achilles I sided with her :sleepy: WHEN SHE DIED NAUR I WANTED HER TO GET AWAY, I WANTED HER TO GO AND LIVE A LONG LIFE I WAS SO SAD

ALSO PYRRUS. THE MENACE. I hated him immediately, way more than Thetis cause he was such an ASS WHAT. Like how do you come from a father that awesome(ish) and just…. Nothing. No compassion. Wouldnt even honour Patroclus like. Gosh. I hate that, that everyone was just discrediting his relationship with P, when everyone with eyes knew they were soulmates.

4 Likes

:innocent::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

YESYES same
but then my heart broke in a different way :sob::sob:

me too…… THAT ALMOST ENDING made me sooooooooo mad. And yes
yes
yes
that quote…

:sob::sob:

1 Like

I heard that some people struggled to read this book because there are two points of view but for me it was such an easy read… I finished it in a day. It’s such a heartwarming but at the same time sad story about two siblings. 5/5

Main characters: Jude and Noah
Plot (summary): At first, Jude and her twin brother Noah, are inseparable. Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude wears red-red lipstick, cliff-dives, and does all the talking for both of them. Years later, they are barely speaking. Something has happened to change the twins in different yet equally devastating ways… but then Jude meets an intriguing, irresistible boy and a mysterious new mentor. The early years are Noah’s to tell; the later years are Jude’s. But they each have only half the story, and if they can only find their way back to one another, they’ll have a chance to remake their world.

My thoughts; more about their story: This book has sooooo many beautiful quotes. Perfect quotes I often think about. What originally drew me to this book was the fact that both our characters are little artists and I think that’s adoooorable. It is a YA book but I cried soooo much reading this (yes, I am extremely emotional, don’t judge)… it’s wholesome. That’s the word for it - wholesome. I didn’t expect it to have the plot twist it has and it’s one reallllly good plot twist. Honestly, I didn’t even expect it to be such a good book. These characters are so human… They are imperfect but so lovable and deeply good that you’d forgive them for anything. And Brian… OMG THAT BOY IS SUCH A BEAN. He is Noah’s love interest and I was rooting for them from the very beginning… Such a lovely relationship… Can’t describe how everything they did together warmed my heart. Brian is a boy who loves space; other characters important for this story are: Guillermo, one of the greatest sculptors who becomes Jude’s mentor, and Oscar… chef’s kiss. O S C A R. Have I mentioned how much love romance? Okay, more about the story… We’re following Jude (current age) who is going to the Academy of arts without Noah because he wasn’t accepted! But the whole time he was the one who wanted it more and we can see that in his pov because he often snuck in and was drawing with other students. That’s how he met Oscar who was a model and he won’t see him again until Jude ends up meeting him in a church, and later again in Guillermo’s atelier. It’s really hard to explain why Jude and Noah aren’t talking without giving away everything so… just go read it! It will really make you warm inside!

4 original 5 6 333 aaaa

Quotes:

“Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story.”

“His soul might be a sun. I’ve never met anyone who had the sun for a soul.”

“He floated into the air high above the sleeping forest, his green hat spinning a few feet above his head. In his hand was the open suitcase and out of it spilled a whole sky of stars.”

7 Likes

Ha I read this book tooo, long ago ugh I loved this book, I remember loving it so clearly :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: can’t remember much of its content tho but yesss that book was gooood

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’ll find a book you haven’t read yet :angry:

2 Likes

hehe yes I wait for a proper recc :relieved:

2 Likes

Okay, listen… I rate this book 3/5 only because it was too slow for my liking but the story is phenomenal and the ending (plot twist) had me sobbing for quite some time.

Main characters: Kokoro and her friends from the lonely castle in the mirror
Plot (summary): Seven students are avoiding going to school, hiding in their darkened bedrooms, unable to face their family and friends, until the moment they discover a portal into another world that offers a temporary escape from their stressful lives. Passing through a glowing mirror, they gather in a magnificent castle which becomes their playground and refuge during school hours. The students are tasked with locating a key, hidden somewhere in the castle, that will allow whoever finds it to be granted one wish. At this moment, the castle will vanish, along with all memories they may have of their adventure. If they fail to leave the castle by 5 pm every afternoon, they will be eaten by the keeper of the castle, an easily provoked and shrill creature named the Wolf Queen.

My thoughts; more about their story: This was the first book I read that was written by the Japanese author and I liked the translation! Now before you decide to start reading this book I’d have to give you one trigger warning: you’ll find mentioning of bullying. Okay, so… This was such a beautiful story. So heartwarming… You meet these different kids and see the struggles they are dealing with along with our main character, Kokoro. We see this friendship they are forming in this castle they use as an escape from their world they don’t feel happy in. It has such a magical and unexpected twist… Their goal is to find the magic key and whoever finds it will get one wish BUT - if they use that one wish that means they won’t remember the year they spent together in that castle and they all became good friends… so… they are not really looking for it until the very end. AND THE PLOT TWIST. O M G THE PLOT TWIST. It had me sobbing late at night and I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was. Yes, the plot twist was BEAUTIFUL. I really loved the fairy tale elements and the magical atmosphere that Tsujimura has created. I love how she is writing about these problems most teenagers are dealing with. It’s great. It really is and I couldn’t recommend it more.

47671abe1980bf878dc83df3e3ec62ef 35627393.SX318 dddd fff key original

Quotes:

“I never want to forget what happened here. I never want to forget the time I spent with everyone. I made my own decision. I stopped feeling anxious. I’m so happy to have met them all.”

“We’ll fight this. It might be a long battle, but let’s fight it.”

“The only place she could now go to freely from her bedroom was the castle. If I’m in the castle , she started to think, then I’ll be safe. Only the castle beyond the mirror could offer her complete protection.”

5 Likes

The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
This. Book. Is. Everything. 10000/5
I can’t decide if this is my favorite book or The song of Achilles… It’s such a perfect fall/dark academia read… This is one, if I can say this, very mature book and it’s not for everyone. It is hard to read it, the story is long but it is 100% worth it. There are a lot of trigger warnings so please click if you want to read it:

tw
  • Alcohol
  • Animal cruelty
  • Antisemitism
  • Drvg use
  • Fatphobia (several comments)
  • Grief
  • Homophobia
  • Incest
  • Murder
  • PTSD
  • Racism
  • Sl*t-shaming
  • Suicide attempts

• Trauma
  • Violence

Main characters: Richard (our narrator), Henry, Edmund (Bunny), Camilla, Charles, Francis
Plot (summary): Under the influence of their charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality their lives are changed profoundly and forever, and they discover how hard it can be to truly live and how easy it is to kill.

My thoughts; more about their story: I don’t think you’re supposed to cry while reading this book but I, once again, did. Ooooh I did. Not important… Now about the story - when you read the synopsis you don’t really get an idea of what’s happening but I’m here to tell you. This is not a spoiler! On the very first page, very first line we discover that Bunny has been murdered, his friends did it. That’s how we’re thrown into this story and get to learn more about the characters from the very first day Richard arrived at their college. That’s how it starts - with Richard talking about his life and switching to Hampden college. He notices this group - Henry, Bunny, Camilla, Charles and Francis. They are part of an elitist circle (no, they are not part of, THEY ARE THAT, just them) who quote Classics and study Greek. They are isolated from everyone else, have their own classroom, and just one highly eccentric professor, Julian! Richard also wants to study Greek and somehow he ended up getting into that small group. Now… They weren’t exactly unfriendly with the rest of the students, people in that town, the world - they were just friendlier with each other, and Richard wasted no time on trying to impress them so he could fit in as well. He ended up changing a lot, becoming what they were. That’s when the real story starts and their “friendship”.
It’s hard to talk about their friendship since there are 6 characters but things are not as they seem. Very soon we find out that Bunny is not this lovable, bubbly character that they love… no, they don’t like him that much and if you read this book you’ll figure out why. I don’t want to spoil anything!!! You just have to go and read it. One of the things I love about this book is how you become the characters… Donna’s writing style is… breathtaking. Everything is so elegant. I could read her books over and over again and be impressed every single time. There is so much to this story that I don’t know how to continue this or what to say next… damn. Uhm. We figure out that Richard is one unreliable narrator, and that’s one of the biggest triumphs of this novel. We see how Richard was naive! We get to meet his new friends in this beautiful light but then everything crumbles and we finally see the way things really are. We see how he trusted too easily and could not see into the cracks of their world. I could talk about this forever but there is just so much that could be said…

fff gfgf original phone shoes woods

Quotes:

“Beauty is terror. Whatever we call beautiful, we quiver before it.”

“I suppose at one time in my life I might have had any number of stories, but now there is no other. This is the only story I will ever be able to tell.”

“There are such things as ghosts. People everywhere have always known that. And we believe in them every bit as much as Homer did. Only now, we call them by different names. Memory. The unconscious.”

“One likes to think there’s something in it, that old platitude amor vincit omnia. But if I’ve learned one thing in my short sad life, it is that that particular platitude is a lie. Love doesn’t conquer everything. And whoever thinks it does is a fool.”

characters

Camilla - Henry - Charles - Francis - Richard - Bunny

5 Likes

Ahh, it’s on my tbr list! I am going to start it next year! Right now, I am reading Beach Read and Hotel De Dream simultaneously. Have you read any of those?

(Also, I recommend Klara and The Sun… I really enjoyed that book!)

2 Likes

OOOh, can’t wait for you to read it! :sob:
Beach Read is waiting on my shelf, I really want to read it but college projects are saying nope. Excited about that one, though. And I haven’t heard of Hotel De Dream, just Klara and The Sun but I like them. I’ll definitely get them if I can find them!

2 Likes