Joke Art - what is it?

What is Joke Art?

Art doesn’t have to be a serious matter. It can be something silly or just peculiar. Artwork that makes us smile and laugh are nevertheless seen across galleries and art fairs. These include quips, tricks played on the viewer, pile-ups of incongruous objects and so on.

Dadaism and Ready-Made Art

Dadaism defines itself by its rupture with social conventions through humor, derision and irreverence.

Examples:

Surrealism

Surrealist creations were often made from the combination of bizarre and heterogeneous elements.

Examples:

Contemporary Art and Dark Humour

Artists claim that one of their missions is to denounce the rules imposed by society and its deviances. As such, consumerism, waste, inequality, environmental issues are recurring themes in contemporary creation.

Examples:

Napalm-Cant-Beat-That-Feeling-Orange-Original-Banksy-Print-

@Artists

2 Likes

I had to study so much about the surrealist clock guy (Check out Salvador Dalí)

Here are some other fun images from the same artist

1 Like

What for? Uni?

Love this one sooo much! Really trippy!

1 Like

Yeah, but in my first year so I don’t remember all too much now. I never liked traditional art, but trippy clocks are cool

1 Like

HAHAHAHA. You don’t remember much, wait, aren’t you only in your second year now?

1 Like

It’s a bit weird with the whole different schools, but it’s my third overall year. It’s the first at my current university though. I believe most kids start around eighteen, so three years seems right.

The art classes are a bit different though and they make you spend more time on traditional basics instead of jumping straight to photoshop. At this rate, I might be in school forever

1 Like

Oh, right, how could I forget that you switched/transferred unis. Whoops. Silly me.

HAHAHA. I’m sure you won’t be. How long is your studies in total?

1 Like

Studies should be four years, but I missed a lot of credits when switching, so we’ll see

I can appreciate some surrealism every now and then. But for all of these, I don’t think I personally would ever call it joke art. Joke art gives me at least the feeling someone isn’t serious about their work. This while most of these works are very serious and have super serious (underlying) meanings. By being so weird and out of the box, artists want viewers to actually think about very serious things in a lot of cases. Sure, there might be some humour included in the pieces, but humour doesn’t make something joke art in my opinion.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that; Dadaism seems very much like joke art. Maybe not the others but that one does. Besides, I don’t agree with not being serious. Humour and comedy can be incredibly sophisticated. As a good joke can make a person laugh and think at the same time. Hence why comedians tackle heavy subjects with their comedy.

1 Like

I remember studying The Dada movement in college

1 Like

Oh yeah? How was the subject?

1 Like

Really interesting. It was cool how each piece was different. There wasn’t a set layout for making Dada art that i could find.

1 Like

That’s definitely a fair observation. HAHA. Did you have a favourite piece?

1 Like

Not really. I thought all the ones that i looked at were pretty cool.

But “The Trench” by Otto Dix had a really interesting history behind it

1 Like

Interesting image. What’s the history?

1 Like

It got destroyed by the n@zis during WW2 so the only surving copies are photos taken of the piece because it was so controversial.

Many galleries refused to show the piece

1 Like

Oh wow. That is interesting. How old was the piece?

1 Like

I think it was painted in 1925?

1 Like

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like