Kristi's little corner

:cloud::ribbon::teddy_bear:

Hey, hey, so if you know me, you’ll know I love to read and talk about books I’m reading. Same with watching shows. I’m a huge bookphile and recently becoming more interesting in tv than i’ve been in years and I felt like opening this thread to recommend books/tv shows and get recommendations back to me (so if you guys have recs do send I’ll love to read/watch and give my opinion)

Spoilers will be blurred :heart_hands:

7 Likes

Ok I want to start with my favorite TV show as of now. This show is really unpopular (undeserved) but it’s a good show. 5/5

Main characters: Louis, Lestat and Claudia

Current seasons: 2, in the process of making a third

Plot (summary): Based on Anne Rice’s revolutionary gothic novel, Interview with the Vampire follows Louis de Pointe du Lac (Game of Thrones’ Jacob Anderson), Lestat de Lioncourt (Belle’s Sam Reid) and Claudia’s (newcomer Bailey Bass) and their epic story of love, blood and the perils of immortality, as told to journalist Daniel Molloy (Eric Bogosian). Chafing at the limitations of life as a Black man in 1900s New Orleans, Louis finds it impossible to resist the rakish Lestat’s offer of the ultimate escape: joining him as his vampire companion. But Louis’ intoxicating new powers come with a violent price, and the introduction of Lestat’s newest fledgling, the child vampire Claudia, soon sets them on a decades-long path of revenge and atonement.

My thoughts, about this TV show: it’s the most amazing TV show I’ve watched in a while. The writing is amazing, the characters are intriguing and makes you want to know more about them (wanting to know more even even the reason I’m reading the books. And it’s one of the rare film adaptations that is better than the books) The characters are all morally gray and shaped by specific events in their lives It’s not the same 2010s Wattpad tv shows we’ve been having, as this show actually has a lot of depth. Though, as is it a vampire/gothic tv show there’s a lot of blood, abusive behavior, and what not but please please trust me this is a good show.

:bow_and_arrow: :bow_and_arrow: :bow_and_arrow: :bow_and_arrow:

Quotes:

My business and my raised religion were at odds. And the, uh, latencies within me, well, I beat those back with a lie I told myself about myself. That I was a red-blooded son of the South, seeking ass before absolution.

There is one thing about being a vampire that I most fear above all else… and that is loneliness. You can’t imagine the emptines

The first time I laid eyes on you, your beautiful face, I saw that sorrow. I did not know how it got there or why it was so voluminous. I can take away that sorrow, Louis. I can give you that death you begged your feeble, blind, degenerate, nonexistent god for. But I can do it joyfully. I can swap this life of shame, swap it out for a dark gift and a power you can’t begin to imagine. You just have to ask me for it. You just have to nod your beautiful head and say yes.

I love you, Louis. You are loved. I send my love to you, and you send it back round to me. And this circle, this home we’ve barely had a glimpse of, know it frightens me as much as it does you.

3 Likes

I actually never got into Anne Rice’s novels. Since I never read the series I was completely confused about the storyline in the movies. I’m not great at referring shows at times. Though Dark Shadows tv shows were good in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m currently reading the books, and they’re very weird…not really something easily digestible to the public as its very gothic and dark and filled with incest on some of them. The movies are strange and kind of boring but the TV show is amazing, and very complex, it’s genuinely a good TV show that removes a lot of problematic aspects in Anne rice working while still making the characters be problematic in a way that makes them mutliface

1 Like

The priory of the Orange Tree. I rated this book 3.75/5 because of the fact that my copy was all messed up, the pages were everywhere at some point making it hard to follow :sob: but it was the fault of my book and not the novel in itself, the novel I think is pretty fascinating. I like it, and the multiple povs it has to offer. At first, I was only genuinely interested in Ead’s and Tane’s pov, but then I got to fall in love with all the characters pov and their stories. The lore is amazing, and I feel like the various religions and cultures are very like what we see in human time with the judgement based on what religion you follow.

Anyways I’m completly in love with Sabran and Ead

sabead fanart

Sabran and Ead from The Priory Of The Orange Tree...

like eeeh they’re so adorable, and maybe one day i’ll reread 800 page book with the better copy, to have a better review of it. But I have to say, it was a good book, but it was a little bit of a struggle at first, a worthy struggle. the ending was very satisfying but still I want to know more, like what happened to them in the end.

Quotes

“I would live alone for fifty years to have one day with you.”

To be kin to a dragon, you must not only have a soul of water. You must have the blood of the sea, and the sea is not always pure. It is not any one thing. There is darkness in it, and danger, and cruelty. It can raze great cities with its rage. Its depths are unknowable; they do not see the touch of the sun. To be a Miduchi is not to be pure, Tané. It is to be the living sea. That is why I chose you. You have a dragon’s hear

“When history fails to shed light on the truth, myth creates its own.”

But when the heart grows too full, it overflows. And mine, inevitably, overflows on to a page

My heart knows your song, as yours knows mine. And I will always come back to you

1 Like

Good to know! I do remember that her work pushed the boundaries in multiple ways. I just couldn’t get into it. I might try the show out.

Oh my god this series is so good. I put off watching it for months, and then me and my best friend binged it all in two days. I want to properly rewatch it asap.